Sign in to follow this  
xboxer

Audio Technica AD or A series for general PC usage?

Hello, I'm new here. :))

Looking for a headphone for PC use with my Audigy 2 ZS sound card.

Can anyone advise me on which range is good for gaming, movies and music on my PC?

I'm looking at the 500 and 700 model for both AD and A.

And anyone know A700 and A500 selling how much in Stereo Electronics? I only know the prices for AD.

I believe since open cans, ie. AD's has larger soundstage and the sound "surrounds" you. However they lack in bass compared to the As.

I feel that if you are not a rock listener/basshead, AD's would be better. IMO, the As' below A900 are not worth looking at. try the ms1/2. I've heard the lower range ATH's and they are no where close the the ms1.

I'm not really a basshead. I prefer clarity. And also I'll be using for heavy gaming and movies.

What you mean by 500 and 700 not as good as 900? My source is not that fantastic too. So is it worth to pay for a better one?

aaron: Dude, he's looking to buy, havent bought yet...Sorry then :sweat:

xboxer: Guess this post was redundant. Happy listening, congrats :D

Edited by That dude

Hi xboxer,

Congrats on your A500 buy & may you enjoy your new cans.

I agree fully with you (from your post in the other forum) that u should buy with your own decision after trying the choices as u will be the one using. Reviews should at best be as references, to be taken with some openness/receptiveness as well as with reservations.

I am also fellow newbie to this audio hobby (which can be rather costly) and have limited funds to fuel with.

I briefly tried the A900 and was impressed with it too. Until more funds then...

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers.

Wow, you guys prowl both forums????

Anyway, I'm quite pleased with my purchase. Not entirely pleased because that will cost me more money. Next stop is the 900.

Ballack, I'm using Foobar. Will itunes be better? Lots of my music are those from you-know-where.

Wow, you guys prowl both forums????

I only do SGheadphones and Headfi... :P

I believe that most would recommend the Foobar too, much more customizable. I'm sure there is an adjustable eq. somewhere.

I don't suggest you go for the 900s, unless they're your ultimate dream cans.

Save up for something on the higher end. Don't play the upgrade game and lose money in the end.

Ballack, I'm using Foobar. Will itunes be better? Lots of my music are those from you-know-where.

FooBar would be a great choice. But i use iTunes because of the easy CD ripping and Album Art. most of my music comes directly from CDs so it's okay for me. furthermore, i'm using a Mac. FooBar only works on Windows. I'd like to say that regardless of the software used, to get the best experience, you use something that you are familiar and is user friendly. Just use their EQ and suit it to your needs.

I felt that my AD700 was bass-heavy and the highs are not as great as my SR-80. Using the EQ helped a lot and now, it seems like it's worth a great buy.

I don't suggest you go for the 900s, unless they're your ultimate dream cans.

Save up for something on the higher end. Don't play the upgrade game and lose money in the end.

Why not the 900s? If I really upgrade I guess my budget will be capped at $300. And both 900s are within range.

Is the sound not that much of an improvement over 500s?