Sign in to follow this  
heady

Using an amp6 basic to drive headphones?

What do you guys think. Can a 25W into 4 ohm amp be used to drive headphones? The amp5 I built has very good sound for the price. I am wondering how the lower powered amps will do driving headphones.

http://www.41hz.com/main.aspx?pageID=118

The amp6 basic comes with power socket for wall wart, 1/8" mini-phono socket for line-in and terminal block for the speaker out. All that is needed will be to wire the 1/8" mini-phono socket for the headphone. Will it burn the headphone coils?

wow....25W...maybe you need to attenuate it or use current hungry phones...like that K1000??? :rolleyes:

so u sound very satisfied with the amp huh heady...hmmm...gets me itching to start building it...

wow....25W...maybe you need to attenuate it or use current hungry phones...like that K1000??? :rolleyes:

so u sound very satisfied with the amp huh heady...hmmm...gets me itching to start building it...

I am happy with the sound. Nothing like a pair of speakers sounding good with nice sentimental music, your wife sitting beside you... :grin:

My previous power amp was beginning to hum and at low volumes, not so clear. Now only not very happy yet with the treble. Hoping it will smoothen out when run in.

I am just curious. These Class D amps sounds best when low volume, the distortion level is low at low volumes. So, with headphones, it must be very good. Or is it just my wishful thinking? ;) Very tempted to get the amp6 basic and try out. :P

I am happy with the sound. Nothing like a pair of speakers sounding good with nice sentimental music, your wife sitting beside you... :grin:

My previous power amp was beginning to hum and at low volumes, not so clear. Now only not very happy yet with the treble. Hoping it will smoothen out when run in.

I am just curious. These Class D amps sounds best when low volume, the distortion level is low at low volumes. So, with headphones, it must be very good. Or is it just my wishful thinking? ;) Very tempted to get the amp6 basic and try out. :P

If the AMP6 series is anything like the AMP3 series (I think should be pretty close), then you cannot simply connect a pair of headphones to the output as the outputs are balanced and do not have a common ground like most amps do. In simple terms, the (-) of the Left and the (-) of the Right are different.

Most headphones have a common ground for the L/R ear and unless you mod the cable so that the Left and Right earpieces are totally isolated you might experience problems connecting it to the AMP3/6.

Regards

CK

Thanks CK, that is good to know. Ok, idea shot down!

hey uncle heady. wan to build tube?? came across this in taiwan webiste.. the kit include eveyrthing.. for about $176

IPB Image

Edited by huangyong

Thanks huangyong. Already got SOHA leh. Does this tube amp really sound different?

Anyway, I see a tube pre-amp in my future :D, just don't know when...

My SOHA is waiting for me to plan its case. Its currently not connected together any more. :(