Sign in to follow this  
gryphon1972

Best CD writer and media for burning

Heard that the Mitsubishi AZO Blue Diamond is not to shabby either, it ranks among the Taiyo Yudens. You can get it at Chamoxa, SLS 6th Floor. I think it is $13 for 25 CDs

Heard that the Mitsubishi AZO Blue Diamond is not to shabby either, it ranks among the Taiyo Yudens. You can get it at Chamoxa, SLS 6th Floor. I think it is $13 for 25 CDs

I went to SLS yesterday.....saw lots of Japanese brand but made in taiwan.....

I saw the mitsubishi too.....not stated the country of manufacture....seems to be from Japan......

mitsubitshi is pretty safe. just look out for the word azo. or verbatim too as it is the subsidary company of mitsubitshi. again, look out for azo or datalifeplus

Anyways, be warned that some Lite-on burners don't like the Phlathocyanine dye used in Mitsui, Kodak & Taiyo Yuden Gold media.

The Blue Diamond isn't so bad. But I use it for burning data CD's instead. laugh.gif

I'd rate it just a tad under the TY discs.

I find my biggest prob with CD-R quality is that they are not perfectly circular. In my Arcam Alpha9 CD player if I press pause the normal CD will be fine, but with a CD-r it will make a slight 'chopping/scraping' noise. Better CD-R will not do this. Anyone else have this? Its only when it is on pause.

Allot of the El'cheapo CD-R's are the same as the top makes like Memorex and TDK.

Nero comes with a program called 'Nero CD Speed' which on one of the menu has a CD Info button. This will tell you the 'real' manufacturer of the media. For example this is what it tells me about my Memorex CD-R:

Manufacture - Prodisc

Code - 97m32s19f

Recording Layer - Dye type 9: Short strategy (phthalocyanine)

Capacity - 79:59:72

That’s the useful info. If I do the same with some by 'MaxMedia' which were 100CDs for £19 I get exactly the same info. Prodisc make allot of the CD-R's out there.

I have not noticed any difference with a different CD writer. Currently I use a AOpen 52x24x52 and burn audio at 24X just to be sure. No probs. Sounds fine at 52x as well. YMMV

Edited by Tenson

I have both the Plextor PX-W4824TU and PX-708UF. I use MAM-A and Taiyo Yuden blank CD-R & DVD +/- R/RW discs. My audio ripper is EAC prebeta 5. My chosen compression codec is LAME 3.95.1. I also use DVD Shrink 3.1.7. Everything works nicely to support my audio addiction.

i have listen to a copy/burn cd and the comparing the sound with the original. i lost the headroom on the burn cd. its just ain't the same. My friend gave me another burn cd and i don't have the spirit to listen to the sound of it.

All i am saying, is it worthed to listen to a burn cd. its like a 'pirated' cd quality.