Sign in to follow this  
gryphon1972

Best CD writer and media for burning

Wonder if anyone hear burns audio cds? Being listeners requiring more from audio....wondering which are the better ones.......

Some of my friends recommend the Yamaha which has a function just to burn audio at 4x....wondering if the ever popular TDK cd writer can burn just as good audio cds?

I use Teac CD-RW drives. It's just the reliability offered by the brand; Teac optical drives are amongst the most reliable in the industry (as with Plextor). But the newer models after the 40x12x48x burners are no longer made by them. They're sub-contracted.

As for media, Mitsui Gold & Kodak Ultima Gold (NOS) are the best. Followed by Ricoh Gold media. Taiyo Yuden gold media is also very good (They OEM to Ricoh). Your el' cheapo Smartbuy or TDK media isn't that great..

I always rip & burn at 4x. Using CloneCD for exact duplicates. =)

ben, using nero can or not huh?

coz in my friend's comp he only has the nero program.. not sure of the difference though.

Probably I will try clone cd. I think his burner is the aopen cd-rw .. hm..

but your copy is just like your original right? have you tried comparing side by side. I am looking to copy quite a few cds.. no money to afford all 1st hand(even 2nd) no.gif

ben, using nero can or not huh?

coz in my friend's comp he only has the nero program.. not sure of the difference though.

Probably I will try clone cd. I think his burner is the aopen cd-rw .. hm..

but your copy is just like your original right? have you tried comparing side by side. I am looking to copy quite a few cds.. no money to afford all 1st hand(even 2nd) no.gif

Not sure about Nero cos it might not be the bit-for-bit copying that CloneCD does. Especially when it comes to sub-channel data/audio. I've tried comparing copies of the various CDR media with the original and I can say that the Mitsui is the closest to the original (almost the same). The Ricoh followed very closely followed by other various medias.

I use Imation External CD-RW burner. Maxell as the burning media. Can't say which is better. Sometime, the media u use must be compatible with the burner, not only the speed, also the brand. Some brand of media are really lousy, though they are cheaper compare to those branded media like Maxell, Sony, TDK, and so on.

I got both the Nero and Clone CD. Clone CD is good for CD cloning smile.gif Very easy to use

Normally, i convert MP3 to WAV then burn them in audio format. Don't have source for original CD. Normally,the CDs i burn are not direct rip from the original CD tongue.gif

hmmm....can find taiyo yuden at Sim Lim Square? There are so many medias around....its like looking for a needle in the ocean wacko.gif

Edited by gryphon1972

Nero also can do direct CD burning, or u can create an image file of that CD first, then burn that image file to the CD-R or CD-RW. Nero will delete the image on the hard disk after the burning process.

oh ok.. maybe I go and get 1 or 2 mitsui gold and try if it burns well in my friend's Aopen.

Oh darn I forgot his the other drive is spoilt sleep.gif

IMO all cd burning programs offer bit for bit copying. a few bits difference can corrupt an entire archived/compressed file such as in commonly found in cd-roms. you know the way sometimes the zipped files or demo files you download from the internet dont work because the 'database may be corrupted'? exactly.

if cd-burning programs werent bit for bit, please tell me how your 'borrowed' copy of cs or wc3 works.

the variance in quality IMO comes from the media.

IIRC, the best drives are from plextor. the best price/perf ratio are IMO from liteon.

something interesting to check out- fitting ONE gig on a normal 700mb cdr!

http://www.plextor.com/english/products/Premium.html

no experience in using TDK cd writers tongue.gif

Can help u ask around

Edited by mychew

I am using TDK cd-rs for storing my gigs of anime lol.gif

It works well though!