Sign in to follow this  
norseman

LDM+ or Xenos OHA REP?

Someone please help me! I've gone thru all the reviews and all the threads concerning these two amps and I still can't make up my mind which to get!

I like the LDM+ for the casing, battery, supposed better details. Don't like it for the rough jack, jack placement, afraid it will sound too lean.

I like the Xenos for beltclip, jack placement, supposed neutral and transparent. Don't like its casing and the fact its twice the price of the LDM+. Don't know if the improvements (if any,) is worth paying for double the LDM+.

I really like the LDM+'s thin metal casing as opposed to all the plastic ones out there but dunno if the build quality of the jacks and internals good or not and scared the sound will be too lean for my liking.

Is it worth paying extra for the xenos? Still have to get an IC after that, maybe the ultimate link ones and my wallet already bleeding all over the damn floor...

I'm using um1, k81dj and ksc75 running on dell axim x51v which I imagine sound similar to an ipod since they use the same bernstein audio chip. Just dun ask me which gen ipod. :grin:

Someone please help me! I've gone thru all the reviews and all the threads concerning these two amps and I still can't make up my mind which to get!

I like the LDM+ for the casing, battery, supposed better details. Don't like it for the rough jack, jack placement, afraid it will sound too lean.

I like the Xenos for beltclip, jack placement, supposed neutral and transparent. Don't like its casing and the fact its twice the price of the LDM+. Don't know if the improvements (if any,) is worth paying for double the LDM+.

I really like the LDM+'s thin metal casing as opposed to all the plastic ones out there but dunno if the build quality of the jacks and internals good or not and scared the sound will be too lean for my liking.

Is it worth paying extra for the xenos? Still have to get an IC after that, maybe the ultimate link ones and my wallet already bleeding all over the damn floor...

I'm using um1, k81dj and ksc75 running on dell axim x51v which I imagine sound similar to an ipod since they use the same bernstein audio chip. Just dun ask me which gen ipod. :grin:

Have you heard them yourself? If not I suggest you try to arrange with someone or make a trip down to Jaben for audition. For entry level amps check out PA2V2 also..

Jaben doesn't have the xenos in stock, nor the LDM+. The Go-vibe is a bit outta my budget though...

I'm sure there are ppl with these amps who hang ard Jaben..

If solely based on feedback I'll recommend the Go-vibe. A little pricey but at least it'll save you from the upgrading bug..

Hi Norseman,

I bought the Xenos REP about three months ago & just got the LDM+ thru Clemo in the recent 4th MO. The LDM+ is burnt in now so here are some of my views comparing the two.

You are correct that the LDM is leaner. But it also depends on the type of music you listen to. When I listen to vocals, I like the warmth and fuller sound of the Xenos. But when listening to classicals, I prefer a more analytical sound and the LDM suits me find. The built-in battery of the LDM lasts a lot longer too, so running cost is lower. I use a Powerex true 9.6V rechargeable battery and it lasts only about 8 -10 hours before you have to recharge. I have yet to drain the LDM battery even though I burn-in for 3 sessions of 8 hours.

The LDM+ battery just keeps going and going. :)

I have yet to charge my LDM+ from the 4th MO too. I use it about 2-3 hours per day on average during the weekdays. Then for the first week I was burning it in so I was listening to it longer. About 2 weeks now. Crazy power.

Hi Norseman,

I bought the Xenos REP about three months ago & just got the LDM+ thru Clemo in the recent 4th MO. The LDM+ is burnt in now so here are some of my views comparing the two.

You are correct that the LDM is leaner. But it also depends on the type of music you listen to. When I listen to vocals, I like the warmth and fuller sound of the Xenos. But when listening to classicals, I prefer a more analytical sound and the LDM suits me find. The built-in battery of the LDM lasts a lot longer too, so running cost is lower. I use a Powerex true 9.6V rechargeable battery and it lasts only about 8 -10 hours before you have to recharge. I have yet to drain the LDM battery even though I burn-in for 3 sessions of 8 hours.

Just something more to add.... I notice you are using a UM1. I have a UM2 and I get an irritating hissing sound when using my UM2 with the Xenos. Not so bad when using with the LDM+ but still there. I solve the problem by adding a Shure Level Attenuator between the amp and UM2. This mades the sound cleaner but with a little loss of bass.

Yes. I can even hear it in the background when quiet music is playing.

My IC is HGA braided silver mini to mini connect to iPod lineout with QSilver's.

It is the same problem also when I previously use the Cardas HPI or the Belden IC

However, this is a problem only when I use my UM2. When I use my ER4S, there is no hissing sound

Don't know whether it will be a problem with yr UM1, as have never tried the setup with UM1

Maybe the IEM used has got to do with the level of the hiss :DD

Another point you may want to consider is that the impedance of the UM2 (and also yr UM1) is very low, so the amp (whether Xenos or LDM+) is barely turned before the volume becomes unbearably loud (7oclock is off, very loud maybe @ 9 oclock) but using the amp does improve the SQ. If you use the amp with other cans with higher impedance, eg I have tried with my Senn600 or 650 or even the RS1, then the amp works better.

Hope that helps.

coming from LDM+ to PA2v2 to Go Vibe

i'd feel the Go Vibe is the best among

its abit pricey though but it will satisfy most

the LDM+ and PA2v2 are complete contrast of each other

1 lacks bass while the other lacks details

so its still up to personal music preference.

:)):))

Yes. I can even hear it in the background when quiet music is playing.

My IC is HGA braided silver mini to mini connect to iPod lineout with QSilver's.

It is the same problem also when I previously use the Cardas HPI or the Belden IC

However, this is a problem only when I use my UM2. When I use my ER4S, there is no hissing sound

Don't know whether it will be a problem with yr UM1, as have never tried the setup with UM1

Maybe the IEM used has got to do with the level of the hiss :DD

Another point you may want to consider is that the impedance of the UM2 (and also yr UM1) is very low, so the amp (whether Xenos or LDM+) is barely turned before the volume becomes unbearably loud (7oclock is off, very loud maybe @ 9 oclock) but using the amp does improve the SQ. If you use the amp with other cans with higher impedance, eg I have tried with my Senn600 or 650 or even the RS1, then the amp works better.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for all the info csleena! I think I'm gonna go for the xenos after all. Save that little bit over the Go-vibe for a good IC instead...