Sign in to follow this  
nightbreed

Office setup

I'm thinking of getting a setup for my office. It's those offices with cubicles about 1.3m high, with a ceiling of about 3+m high.

I'm looking for

1. CDP (if not, then source would be Zen Micro/Shuffle 2G/PCDP/Laptop)

2. Amp (most likely Firestone's Cute Battery - for headphones and/or Little Country for CDP)

3. Speakers (this one I have no idea what to get, but should be bookshelf)

4. Possibly a DAC (Fubar II....but is this necesary if I get a CDP?

Hopefully, this will not cost me more than S$800.

Thank you!

I'm thinking of getting a setup for my office. It's those offices with cubicles about 1.3m high, with a ceiling of about 3+m high.

I'm looking for

1. CDP (if not, then source would be Zen Micro/Shuffle 2G/PCDP/Laptop)

2. Amp (most likely Firestone's Cute Battery - for headphones and/or Little Country for CDP)

3. Speakers (this one I have no idea what to get, but should be bookshelf)

4. Possibly a DAC (Fubar II....but is this necesary if I get a CDP?

Hopefully, this will not cost me more than S$800.

Thank you!

bro, FWIW I'l try to answer u as best as i can although im sure there are more well informed sifus here.

1. any of the source u noted will do but ofcoz, the better the quality will usualy (but not neccessary) get u better sound. a quality redbook CDP should give u the best SQ. lappies usualy come with crap builtin sound cards so u mite think about a decent pcmcia external solution. all the rest should be fine if SQ isnt of prime importance.

2. IIRC the icute or little country are both headamps for headphones. they are both connected from your source, be it CDP, PCDP, PDAP or watever to your cans.

3. for speakers, you would need a stereo hifi amp. the above 2headamps will not drive the bookshelfs. if u spend abit more, there are some headamps (eg. LDIII+, high bias M^3) that mite drive very efficient speakers.

4. u realy should get a DAC with built in headamp if your gonna use your lappie. then all u need is a usb/spdif out that will hookup to the DAC. an eg. of DAC with decent headamps are ZHAOLU D2/2.5 with discrete headamp, LAVRY D1, etc..

GOODLUCK SHOPPING

Edited by scottiebabie

bro, FWIW I'l try to answer u as best as i can although im sure there are more well informed sifus here.

1. any of the source u noted will do but ofcoz, the better the quality will usualy (but not neccessary) get u better sound. a quality redbook CDP should give u the best SQ. lappies usualy come with crap builtin sound cards so u mite think about a decent pcmcia external solution. all the rest should be fine if SQ isnt of prime importance.

2. IIRC the icute or little country are both headamps for headphones. they are both connected from your source, be it CDP, PCDP, PDAP or watever to your cans.

3. for speakers, you would need a stereo hifi amp. the above 2headamps will not drive the bookshelfs. if u spend abit more, there are some headamps (eg. LDIII+, high bias M^3) that mite drive very efficient speakers.

4. u realy should get a DAC with built in headamp if your gonna use your lappie. then all u need is a usb/spdif out that will hookup to the DAC. an eg. of DAC with decent headamps are ZHAOLU D2/2.5 with discrete headamp, LAVRY D1, etc..

GOODLUCK SHOPPING

Hi! Thanks for your reply! I went price-hunting at Adelphi earlier....sub $800 system is not possible....

Have to re-think. :P

Hi! Thanks for your reply! I went price-hunting at Adelphi earlier....sub $800 system is not possible....

Have to re-think. :P

unfortunetly, the budget is never enuff :cry: ! if u know whats good for u, i suggest u get yourself an ipod (or whatever), a decent set of IEMs (superfi 5pro, etymotics, etc..) and voila....u got yourself a portable tunesystem for the office or watever u maybe. believe me, your bank acct will thank me and maybe your wifey will still speak to ya :D .

if not, welcome to the world of audio poison... :party:

My office setup consists of a Panasonic SL-CT720, a PA2V2, and grado RS-1. As simple as that :P

Heheh. An RS-1 is "simple"? :D

What I'm thinking of now is to use my Panasonic donno-what PCDP/Zen Micro/Shuffle 2G/laptop with Dr Head amp and Altec Lansing donno-what speakers/SR80/PX100/HTX7. I shall forgo the CDP, new speakers (had a brief listen to the nEar 04 and 05 today) and Cute Battery. All I need is a DAC to bypass my laptop's faulty sound card.

Heheh. Just saved me a bunch of moola there. Then again, the DT880 I auditioned today was real nice...

unfortunetly, the budget is never enuff :cry: ! if u know whats good for u, i suggest u get yourself an ipod (or whatever), a decent set of IEMs (superfi 5pro, etymotics, etc..) and voila....u got yourself a portable tunesystem for the office or watever u maybe. believe me, your bank acct will thank me and maybe your wifey will still speak to ya :D .

if not, welcome to the world of audio poison... :party:

You right about the budget part, man. My bank account and me have not been on speakjng terms since I started earning $. My wife on the other hand is tolerant. Probably because she doesn't know the extent of the equipment I've got. :P:D

Hey there!

Just joined a while back, my office setup is very simple. Zen Micro -> SR80s. I did up an A47 amp, but can't hear much difference apart from volume, so now building other amps to see how.

HTHs!

Giving my newbie thoughts.

Maybe get an used cdp, marantz, nad, rotel or whatever brand you like.

Can be bought as low as less than $100 to $400 range.

Then get also an used integrated amp, and try for mission 751 speakers, read the reviews was quite good for the price.

Think 2nd hand can get the speakers at $350 or less locally.

I'm not sure on integrated amp here, cause I have not venture into home audio system.

But it will be the cheaper way though compared to get tube power amp + pre amp, since you need 2.