Sign in to follow this  
xjazzdummy

Xmod

Here's my take on the Xmod. I bought it today at Creative in Marina Square $139. Both the unit and the packaging are pretty. I don't think I need to post any pictures since you can see them on the Creative website.

PHYSICAL FEATURES

Connections on top:

- USB (the small type), functions to hook up to computer or for USB power supply (more on this later)

- 1/8" stereo mini line out

Connections on bottom:

- 1/8" stereo mini line in

- 1/8" stereo mini phones out

Controls:

- Left side: X-Fi Crystalizer On-Off switch

- Right side: X-Fi CMSS 3D On-Off switch

- On face: Big knob for volume control and setting levels of Crystalizer and CMSS

- Top half of face panel: functions as select switch to set levels for Crystalizer and CMSS

FUNCTIONS

USB Soundcard or DAC

- the Xmod functions as a USB DAC or USB soundcard

- the line-in jack can be used to connect a mic but without Crystalizer and CMSS effects

Standalone Processing Unit

- this is for connecting to your portable player or CDP

- *IMPORTANT* to use the Xmod for this function, you must connect it to an external USB power supply. If it is connected to a computer, it will only output sound from the computer, not the line-in! I use my PDA phone's USB charger to do this

QUALITY OF DAC

I tested the quality of the DAC with my other USB DAC, the M-Audio Transit. The Transit is reputable to be a pretty good DAC, so I feel that this is a good comparison. Moreover, they are both at the same price point. I connected both the Xmod and the Transit to my notebook. I used Foobar playing CDs for this test, without any DSP effects.

The difference is discernible. The Transit sounds more transparent. The Xmod sounds like there's a thin veil in front of it (note that I said thin veil, not heavy curtain). The Xmod highs are not as extended, and the stereo positioning isn't as precise. This usually indicates digital jitter problems or poor digital clock. I'm not saying that the Xmod doesn't sound good, but compared to the Transit it doesn't do as well (then again, few DACs at this price point can beat the Transit). For resolution, the Xmod is a tad lower resolution, making solo voices sound a little rougher than the Transit.

QUALITY OF PROCESSING IN DIGITAL DOMAIN

CAN IT MAKE A COMPRESSED FILE SOUND AS GOOD AS THE ORIGINAL CD?

This is what the marketing hype claim, so I wanted to test this. For this test, I continue to use Foobar. I encode a CD to OGG Quality 10 and compare it with the original CD. Since I'm testing the processing and not the DAC quality, I only use the Xmod for this test.

Playing the the OGG files and the CD with all processing turned off, it is pretty obvious that the audio CD sounds better, even though a Q10 OGG is already very high quality. The audio CD sounds less compressed (more dynamics) and has more extended frequency response.

I then turned on the Crystalizer. Did it make a difference? YES IT DID! I don't know what they did, but it did make the OGG files sound more like the CD. All the faults from the comparison with the Transit disappeared. The main improvement is in the high frequencies, where it approaches the CD. The improvements on mids and lows are more ambiguous. The processing made the OGG files slightly louder, which is not good news because they usually use compression to make it sound louder, or the louder level will clip and distort the DACs. My suspicions were correct, as I heard digital clipping on the louder tracks. Turning down the volume a little solved the digital clipping.

I feel that the Crystalizer did make the OGG files sound more like the CD. They don't sound exactly like the CD, but it's pretty close. There are three levels on the Crystalizer. To me, the lowest level sounds gentle, the mid level sounds best, and the highest level sounds over-processed.

I compared the Crystalizer processing to a Winamp plugin, the infamous izotope Ozone MP. For those who don't know, izotope is a very reputable company in the pro audio circles. Their Ozone mastering software (not the Ozone MP) is one of the current industry standards. Sure enough, the Ozone MP sounds better, albeit a bit too processed at times. Worst part is that the Ozone MP has a free version ...

QUALITY OF PROCESSING IN ANALOGUE DOMAIN

USING THE XMOD ON PORTABLES

I tested the Xmod with my iaudio X5 for this. As mentioned above, the Xmod needs to be connected to a USB power supply, not a computer, for it to process the analogue line-in signals. I used the same OGG files as the previous test.

First off, the Crystalizer on the line-in from the X5 sounds not as good as processing in the digital domain through USB. The improvement isn't as great. For this, I find that the lowest level of Crystalizer processing sounds the best. Any higher than that the singers sound too sibliant. It still works, but not as good as off the USB playing the same files from a computer.

I also compared the Crystalizer to the X5 onboard DSP. The X5 contains the BBE MP, which is supposed to do exactly what the Xmod does, i.e. restore compressed audio to CD quality. The result? The BBE MP produces less extended highs than the Xmod, but is way more transparent and less intrusive in its processing.

CONCLUSION

I think it probably sounds like I don't really like the Xmod. On the contrary, I do.

For using it as a USB DAC, I feel that the improvement is significant enough to justify buying one. Of course, other DSPs such as the Ozone MP and BBE MP can outperform it. But it is a pretty neat and good-looking hardware solution to restoring the quality of compressed audio.

For using it to process your portable, I feel that the improvement isn't as great, but still not too bad. Of course, if you have a player that supports BBE MP, you should use that instead. But most players do not have BBE MP, so the Xmod may be your only choice. Also, please remember to factor in a USB power supply to use it with portables.

Just in case you're wondering, the quality of the headphone out is pretty good, better than my X5. However, it doesn't have enough juice to drive higher impedance cans. It can't even drive my 80ohms DT770 properly.

I didn't even bother to test the CMSS, 'cuz it sounds major C-R-A-P.

OTHER TEST INFO

Headphone setup: DT880 2005 with Headroom Micro with desktop module (my most neutral setup)

Interconnects: all Cardas HPIs

Music: various Chesky CDs

A balanced and well-written review, thanks!

My X-fi soundcard also comes with a 24-bit Crystaliser, wonder if it's the same as the one in the Xmod as advertisements boast the same effect of improving sound quality of lossy files to match CDs. I wasn't very impressed with the X-fi Crystaliser, sounds too artificial to my ears, like a non-customisable EQ program.

Thanks! From the marketing hoola, the Crystalizer in the Xmod is supposed to the same as the one in X-Fi modules.

I do agree that compared to without processing, the Crystalizer can add some artificiality. But I think any "restoration" DSPs would do this. On the compressed files played through USB, I thought the artificiality was acceptable. Sounds reasonably natural, unless you overdo it of course.

Then again, I was testing using open cans and a pretty neutral setup. I suspect if you use IEMs, closed cans, or bright cans, the response might be different.

I'll find time to test with IEMs and closed cans.

This is an update to the above review.

EXPERIENCE WITH CLOSED CANS AND IEMS

I used the DT770 2005 80ohms and SF5pros for this.

On closed cans, the processing effect definitely sounds more obvious. Now I can better hear what they are doing to the sound. There's enhancement of both high and low frequencies, but the resultant sound is also rounder at the same time. There seems to be a slight compression as well. In fact, it sounds like gentle tube amplification. There's also a mild reverb going on, I thought. Finally, the sound stage is a bit less wide and more speaker like. It's like a gentle crossfeed, perhaps good news for us headphone users.

On IEMs however, the effect is even more pronounced but now less enjoyable.

I'll like to correct myself. There are many levels of Crystalizer and CMSS, not just three. You turn the knob and the related LED flashes faster or slower to show what's the level of the Crystalizer and CMSS. It's a very imprecise way of adjusting the levels. It's very much guesswork and approximation trying to change settings.

PROBLEMS

Now that I hear things more clearly with closed cans and IEMs, I also hear the faults. Here's the BAD NEWS. In USB DAC mode, there's a low level zippering noise on the Xmod when music is playing. This is true for both OGG files and audio CDs. It's not very obvious, for it is disturbing enough for me if I wanna do some serious listening. In standalone processor mode, the zippering noise is not there but the hiss and noise is higher. And like I said in the original review, standalone mode doesn't sound as good as USB mode. The zippering noise may be due to problems with handling the lower digital bits. Sounds like bad dither when they're doing the bit conversion thingy. Not good news at all. On my Transit, the zippering noise is gone, so it's not a problem from my system.

I'll try to write to Creative and see what they say. There's someone here who knows some Creative staff right? Please tell them too.

EXPERIENCE WITH CLOSED CANS AND IEMS[/b]

...There's enhancement of both high and low frequencies, but the resultant sound is also rounder at the same time. There seems to be a slight compression as well. In fact, it sounds like gentle tube amplification. There's also a mild reverb going on, I thought. Finally, the sound stage is a bit less wide and more speaker like. It's like a gentle crossfeed, perhaps good news for us headphone users.

Your impressions with closed cans mirror mine.

The CMSS will add funny distortion noise. If you pump line-in 2V with all bass treble boost, X-fi effect all max, the flaw may reveal.

Initially I bought an X-fi card and I really like it. After awhile... :P

Too fake for my ear. :))

Nowadays I prefer all off.

How does it fare, in terms of sound quality improvement and portability?

For anyone who's still looking at the Xmod ...

Yesterday I finally collected the Xmod from the Creative Service Centre. The people there were very friendly and helpful. It turned out that there's nothing wrong with the Xmod. The low level zippering noise seems to be from my notebook only. My notebook is an IBM T43, running Win2K. On foobar, winamp, WMP, the zippering noise is always there. The staff suggested that it may be the USB ports. At home I had a PCMCIA card with USB ports. I tried with those and the zippering noise is still there. BUT if I use the notebook onboard soundcard or the M-Audio Transit, there was no noise.

I tried with the Creative staff's PCs and there was no noise. I tried with my other notebook, a Dell running WinXP and there was no noise too.

Conclusion? Looks like Xmod doesn't like Win2k.