Sign in to follow this  
a6laze

Amplification in sound card & speakers

Hey guys,

Just need to clarify my understanding of pc audio.

When I use my soundcard's control panel to raise the volume, this raise is effected by a pre-amp integrated on the soundcard right?

I have a set of 2.1 speakers that has it's own dedicated volume control, therefore there is a power amp integrated into it?

So does it mean the audio signal goes through 2 stages of amplification, and does this particular pathway impair sound quality in any way?

Thanks heaps.

I'll try my best to answer.

Its going through double amplification, 1 via soundcard, other via ur speaker amp. The SQ gd or bad is very debatable. First it depends on ur soundcard amp if its good or not. Technically amping a bad source makes bad noise. However if your speaker amp is decently good, it can offset some of your soundcard amp signals as speakers usually have very high impedence resulting in voltage only intake. The amp on your speaker if its gd can technically make your sound better by amping the voltage only which is why ppl tend to connect amps to their setup. However it cant be better then the source can provide lol. The important factor for you is your soundcard. The DAC on it is probably the biggest factor

I'll try my best to answer.

Its going through double amplification, 1 via soundcard, other via ur speaker amp. The SQ gd or bad is very debatable. First it depends on ur soundcard amp if its good or not. Technically amping a bad source makes bad noise. However if your speaker amp is decently good, it can offset some of your soundcard amp signals as speakers usually have very high impedence resulting in voltage only intake. The amp on your speaker if its gd can technically make your sound better by amping the voltage only which is why ppl tend to connect amps to their setup. However it cant be better then the source can provide lol. The important factor for you is your soundcard. The DAC on it is probably the biggest factor

Thanks for taking time to help.

Hmm, my source files are all original wavs ripped direct from cds, so guess that shouldn't be a problem. My soundcard, you probably have heard of it, it's the Audiotrak Prodigy 7.1. From what I gather, it has a quality DAC, but I'm not so sure about the amp though. But is the amp on the soundcard a preamp, and the one in the speakers a poweramp? This is what I am wondering.

I can see that you're quite informed about voltage and impedance so I've got another question that sidetracks a little:

Am I right to say that impedance of line out is usually low but higher than headphone out, impedance of amp in is very high, and the impedance of amp out is low?

The amp on the soundcard is acting like a pre amp while the one on the speaker is acting like the power amp if u want to see it tat way lol. Lineout are main purpose is usually to transferr the voltage only as such the impedence is usually slightly higher. Headphones out have low impedence. I forget the exact reason to it though :P Line in have very high impedence as they only want the voltage. I believe somewhere in this forum they posted it before. Someone actually ask that question which i think is in the portable or home section.