Sign in to follow this  
kevyan

Music sounds better with my Pocket PC compared to iPod mini....

Hi all,

I find it interesting that when I listen to my mp3, my Pocket PC sounds better than my ipod mini.... why is this so? No EQ is use for both.

I am listening it with AT ES5.

Which Pocket PC do you have? There are so many in the market. And what bit rate are you using for your mp3s?

I'm using a DELL AXIM X51v. Mp3 - 128kbps

i have a theory... just guessing here

might be that your pocket pc is more forgiving in terms of sound?

or you just prefer the way the sound is presented by the pocket pc?

u didnt mention in what way did the pocket pc sound better? details? highs/midrange/bass?

i have a theory... just guessing here

might be that your pocket pc is more forgiving in terms of sound?

or you just prefer the way the sound is presented by the pocket pc?

u didnt mention in what way did the pocket pc sound better? details? highs/midrange/bass?

Well, I am new to this 'sound/music' thingy.

What I can say is that I can hear more details from my PPC and the bass is better.

My iPod mini bass sounds weak when the EQ is off, but when I turn on the EQ to boost the bass.... it sounds distorted.

ah more details and bass!

i think your ipod mini may not be supplying enough juice to your headphones, if it sounds good as it is, id suggest using your ppc as your player from now on.

ah more details and bass!

i think your ipod mini may not be supplying enough juice to your headphones, if it sounds good as it is, id suggest using your ppc as your player from now on.

Wah...! I can't believe my iPod mini lose out to my PPC... my goodness....

can you recommend me a good mp3 player? Hmm... or should I stick with my Sony D-NE730 PCDP....

I was reading about converting CD songs to some loseless format.... and mp3 is lossy format.... :rclxub:

Normally, a mp3 player can only play mp3 format right?

Edited by kevyan

I don't think the ipod mini was ever known for good sound quality.

Try the 1st generation ipod shuffle instead.

iPod shuffle? Isn't it only 512MB or 1GB right?

Okay... beside iPod shuffle... any other good source? Budget - $200+-.

It's a pretty much known fact that the ipod has average sound quality. The 1g shuffle can provide enough drive for most earphones and headphones. Some people say the only good ipod was the 1g ipods. I can't say whether that's true or not since I've never heard that.

Many people prefer an iaudio x5l these days for sound quality.

Bass could be weak because of not enough drive like someone said but the ipod is just plain weak. I have a 3g ipod myself.

Just to add... that's why there exist the imod ipod by redwine. They modify 4g and 5g ipods to have very good sound. True line out if I'm not wrong. I've heard one before and I was quite surprised at the quality.

Edited by pegasus21

It's a pretty much known fact that the ipod has average sound quality. The 1g shuffle can provide enough drive for most earphones and headphones. Some people say the only good ipod was the 1g ipods. I can't say whether that's true or not since I've never heard that.

Many people prefer an iaudio x5l these days for sound quality.

Bass could be weak because of not enough drive like someone said but the ipod is just plain weak. I have a 3g ipod myself.

Just to add... that's why there exist the imod ipod by redwine. They modify 4g and 5g ipods to have very good sound. True line out if I'm not wrong. I've heard one before and I was quite surprised at the quality.

imod by redwine is not supported for 5th Gen ipod.

They are only doing it for the 4th Gen ipod.

...Many people prefer an iaudio x5l these days for sound quality...

Are you saying that the iaudio sounds better than the 1st gen ipod shuffle? I have heard all the ipod models and the ipod shuffle 1st gen sounds the best. (Using easy to drive phones such as ath cm7 & Ety 4p.) I have also heard a lot of samsung and creative players but they still don't compare with the shuffle.

(With samsung flash players, every player they produce after the YP30 models seem to have less power to drive phones.)

kevyan: I used to own one of those slim - and discontinued - toshiba ppc. I was also very surprised that they sounded better than most of the DAP in the market at the time. Probably becuase they have more power to drive the phones.