Sign in to follow this  
Rameish

Jolida 202 - System Synergy Now At Work

My jolida JD-202 just came back from the modifier's place (actually he didn't modify anything as a part substitution was done). He basically replaced the generic caps with some solen (not expensive), chnaged the volume post to an alps black beauty, added some Wima (blue) caps, and has added 2 other caps of unkown origin. What ever he did it now sounds way more detailed with my el cheapo Tannoy R3. Finally, the Tannoy's have lost their super laid back nature. Listening to some Tory Amos thru it right now and it's rather good. If all goes well the EAR 834L line stage goes for part substitution as well. And if that works out the EAR 834 P phone stage goes in for a change as well. Then I'll use the Jolida as a power amp with gain control and the EAR 834 L as pre amp. Back to tubes for now.

But I'm not gonna change tubes like mad. Maybe swithc the 12AT7 and 12AU7 on the Jolida for some Mullards (the EL 34 are Svetlana so I'm okay with them). The EAR-834P will have Mullards as well in the ECC82 position but with an RCA 12AX7. As for the phono stage I'll stick to the Ei 12AX7 for now.

Well, I havn't picked up a headphone since last night (when out server went down). Hmm...my el cheapo system now sounds like the Beyer DT-931 driven by the HA-2 with the Rotel RCD-971.

Why am I posting all this here? Well It's a fine example of system synergy. I was gonna sell the Marantz Cd-6000 OSE and the EAR-834L Pre but I'm having second thoughts now.

So make sure you think about system synergy before you sell that piece of equipment.

Have fun and happy listening

TS Lim came to my place one to help me position speakers with a Diva amp - he's good but expensive. He's very soft spoken. Richard is his sales person. TS Lim's products has got a lfollowing in Singapore however Richard has closed his Soul of Music shop in Adelphi. He's the one that got me started on DH Cones LOL.

The Marantz CD-6000 OSE I have will go for modification (this time I do mean modification and not just substitution of parts) IF I decide to keep it.

The 202 uses 12AX7 for the pre and 12AT for the driver. Have you experience significant sonic improvements with the swop from 12AX7 to 12AU7 (gain factor 19?)? I find the 5751 ( gain factor 70) to be a good replacement due to the lower gain and smoother mid-range. A favourite 5751 of mine - Raytheon windmill getter, double mica black plates.

Swop out those caps to Jensen PIOs or Auricaps - they are worth the money. I also use Kiwame resistors on the 202. Since I've sold my Spendor...the 202 has lost it's 'soul' and she taking the back seat.

hrmm, rameish, how about a heart mod for your 6000?

i suppose that would count as a mod, and a big one at that.

Heart mod...you goota be kidding me as it's expensive. I personally don't believe in the modiification costing more than the original unit.

Naimed, Jensen would have been the way to go if I wanted a smoother sound. I did discuss this with the guy but decided that since I was looking for more detail that Solen would be better suited. Also I'll be using the Jolida as a power amp with gain control so I'll have to factor in the EAR 834L sound as well. Not so certain about the resistors.

I'll let the amp run in for a week and see how that changes the sound.

Thanks for your thoughts/suggestions though. Trouble with 5751 is all the good 3 mica versions are now a bit rare and as such getting expensive. There are too many tubes in my system right now (3 x 12AX7 in the EAR834P) (2X12AU7 and 1X12AX7 in the EAR834L) and (2x12AX7 and 2X12AT7 and 4xEL34). Making it a totoal of 14 tubes.

BTW I ahve a stashfull of Mullard CV4003 if you need any. Some 12BH7 (Philips and RCA) and some other stuff. PM for details