Sign in to follow this  
a6laze

Ipod lineout

when I listen to the ipod via lineout with my er4s, it was surprisingly loud, slightly louder than my usual listening levels. I found this quite strange as I thought that lineouts usually have low outputs as they are meant to transfer the audio signal (voltage) instead of driving transducers?

anyone knows the impedance of the ipod 5.5g lineout?

thanks heaps. :))

From what I understand, a true line out can have loud volumes ie high voltage. It depends on the DAC. Though it may be loud, it may not be able to provide the current draw required by headphones or earphones because it's not supposed to be going through some buffer or amplifier. It's meant to be the input to a high impedence amplifier.

As I understand of the ipod, it's not a true line out. If you want a true line out on the ipod, you will have to send it for the iMod by Red Wine Audio.

http://www.redwineaudio.com/iMod.html

Its true that a Audio Line out can be both soft and loud. depends on voltage output level. Tested that on my CDP and it has a terribly loud line out lol. Regarding true lineout, Ipod doent have one but its still somehwat cleaner then the headphones out though