Sign in to follow this  
MalHead

Music genre for MS1 and SR225, and their comparison

Hi all

I'm newbie and currently researching/sourcing for a set of headphones for home use, both music and TV/movie. I've read through (I think) almost all threads on Grado, Alessandros, and their comparisons/reviews. Based on the discussions, it seems that Grado and Alessandros headphones are great for live performance, rock, jazz, instrumental. But what about pop, soundtracks and movies/TV?

I also read about the comparisons between MS1 and SR60/80, and that between MS2 and SR225/325. In Head-Fi, someone mentioned that MS1 is a mod of SR125 while MS2 is a mod of 325, that's why reviews seem to favor MS1 to SR60/80 and MS2 to SR225. But how much difference is between MS1 and SR225? Some said that there are 2 different categories, but can anyone elaborate? I'm staying in the east side of SG and would definitely go to Stereo in Causeway Point to test drive the units but would like get opinions on this comparison/ difference.

My main criteria for choosing my first serious headphone:

1. Sound true to its origin, ie. can differentiate the instruments

2. Clarity. Among high, mid and low, as long as they are true to its origin

3. Most suitable for instrumental, jazz, soundtracks, pop (all languages), movie/TV. Seldom listen to live performance and rock.

4. Value for money.

I'm also open to other brands like BeyerDynamics, Audio Technica, Sennheiser, etc. Btw, does any of MS1/2 and SR225 need amp. I'm using my Palm to listen to music.

Appreciate all advice and recommendations from all of you audiophiles.

Thanks.

Malcolm

Since you are using yr palm to listen, it would be better you get an easier to drive phones.. Grado are good choice...

The Alessandro are more suitable for a wider genres of music and perhaps the MS1 would be yr first can :D

Thanks for the advise. I notice quite a number of you have a few cans, but I hope I can settle with one good one. Yes, I'm also thinking of MS1, but is there significant difference as compared to SR125 and SR225? I mean for a newbie, can one tell the difference straightaway? Will having a headamp with MS1 make a good headon with SR125 or even SR225? Just trying to see if MS1+amp compare to SR125/225? Or is it that the tech spec sets the limits of how far MS1 can go?

If really were to pair, which amp will you recommend to go with MS1? Also where can I find it and what's the cost?

I will be using it mostly at home, so whether the headamp is portable or not is not critical.

Thanks.

Malcolm

The Alessandro are more suitable for a wider genres of music and perhaps the MS1 would be yr first can :D

Hi nakedtoes

if MS-1 is suitable for wider range of music, then how about SR60?? I noted that the SR80 is better in the bass but also more bright as compare to SR60. I also noticed that MS-1 is harder to drive than SR60

MARC :))

Hi MarcPKH

Can I understand a bit more when you say that MS1 is harder to drive than SR60? Do you mean MS1 will be better with an amp? So far, may I know who's using MS1 with an amp? Any amp to intro?

Reading on Sr125/225/325 and MS1/2, it seems that the next logical upsize is MS2, but this is a huge jump in price point. And does it need an amp?

Ok, my budget range between S$100-400, including amp if necessary.

Thanks

Malcolm

All grados and Alessandro are easy to drive phone.. as i do not know how the palm sound like etc.. it would be best you go down Stereo or Jaben to try the phones out.. both are nice place to audit. Always remember garbage in garbage out.. That is to mean sources are very important too... a lousy source with a good amp might only show the potential of a mid range cans and a high end can might sound no better.

And wherther to get an amp later is another problem..you might not able to hear any differences for easy to drive phones(low ohms) then high ohms phones... i would said start them slow dependant on yr budget and slowly learn to listen and apprieciate good music along the way.. :))

From my experience the MS1 is better in SQ then the SR60 and SR80 using a normal mp3 player..

Yea bring down yr source for the audition.. and take note both grados and alessandro are not "outdoor" phones

Edited by nakedtoes

Hi nakedtoes

Thanks for the prompt reply. yup, I'm using it at home, so open cans are ok. Sorry for being newbie, but what do you mean by SQ? Singapore???

Let's say I want to take 1 step ahead, which is the next upgrade from MS1? Very greedy, huh? :grin: I will compare these cans when I go down to Stereo or Jaben. Btw, where is Jaben? I'm staying in the east of Singapore, so Stereo is a bit out for me.

Malcolm

SQ is sound quality... :grin: jaben is at #04-16 The Adelphi... you can also audit at MDB in the same building too, they sell full range of grados too..

Edited by nakedtoes

SQ is sound quality... :grin: jaben is at #04-16 The Adelphi... you can also audit at MDB in the same building too, they sell full range of grados too..

Hi nakedtoes,

Do MBD carries Alessando series as well?? I only know that they are the dealer for Grado. For warranty issue do we send the phone to them or is there another agent in Singapore that service Grado phone? I am very disappointed with the Grado Main Agent in US since they are very unprofessional in answering my email without giving proper advise on which agent in Singapore to service Grado phone. Is there only two dealers (Stereo & MBD) in Singapore in Singapore for Grado? Senn is definitely much better when comes to customer service and i had no regrets owning two of their headphone, namely HD485 & HD555.

Marc

MDB does not carry Alessandro.. 1yr warranty is given fro all the above mention shops and you would need to check with the shop you going to purchase.. most likely they would help you to sent back to US for repair.. there isnt a Grado service center in singapore. Not heard of it b4

Hi all

Looks like the support for both Grado and Alessandros is no good. But does Jaben carries Alessandros? In terms of choices, will Stereo or Jaben carry more products that can be tested?

Malcolm

They carry different ranges (Stereo has the higher-end Sennheisers, whereas Jaben has the Beyerdynamics), though both would carry most of the Grados. Jaben should carry Alessandros if I have not mistaken.

The MS2 would be a step up from the MS1 in terms of sound (If MS1 is based on the SR80, then the MS2 would be based on the SR325). It's a few steps up based on aesthetics alone, but would cost quite a bit more.

MalHead,no support for the grados and alessandros!? :sweat:

and the support of the community should have nothing to do with your choice, you should go down to the shops and test the different headphones. they were saying how the MS1 is superior to the SR60/80's and i thought so too, until i went to have a listen and found out that i preferred the sound signature of the SR series than to the alessandros.

you should go down and have a listen. forums are here to point you in the right direction, the experimental step and destination is what you should decide. deciding what sounds good JUST by reviews and such, will make you risk ALOT of hardearned money! :))

just go down and test, dont worry,you WONT regret the bus fare you spent :thumbup: