Sign in to follow this  
MalHead

Music genre for MS1 and SR225, and their comparison

MS1 with beyond..i never look back. i nearly sold my ms1 at first.lucky that my budget was tight at that time and i stick back to ms1. ( my ms1 was not burned in enough). After longer period, better results produced.

Edited by bluemoon39

Got my MS1 yesterday... A fun pair of phones.. pretty suitable for pple who listens rock or bassheads. Doesn't really need an amp to drive it, as its only 32 ohms. But might improve it somewhat if amped. Won't know till next week, when my new amp arrives. :))

The Beyer DTX900 is also an interesting pair of phones too, gives a more detailed sound instead of the thump thump thump in MS1... except the design looks abit..... for lack of a better word, cheap.

Grado SR125 and above uses the 1/4" connector (the converter to 1/8" is not included).

I will recommend Sr80 or SR225, SR125 sounds closer to SR80 than SR225 for me. So save the $70 or so and get the SR80.

my 2 cents.

My main criteria for choosing my first serious headphone:

1. Sound true to its origin, ie. can differentiate the instruments

2. Clarity. Among high, mid and low, as long as they are true to its origin

3. Most suitable for instrumental, jazz, soundtracks, pop (all languages), movie/TV. Seldom listen to live performance and rock.

4. Value for money.

I've been trying several phones lately, and i'd recommend the MS-2 or the DT880. This is because you specifically mention that you don't listen to a lot of rock, and the MS-1s with rock is simply "wow" because of its "forward" sound signature.

BUT, IMO, the MS-2's clarify is substantially better while still possessing the "forward" sound. Do note that there are some who do not fancy the allesandro/grado's forwardness.

The DT880's are more laid back and gives the impression of more room which, IMO, is better for instrumental/soundtracks (I assume your saoundtracks are stuffs like StarWars/Harry Potter/LOTR).

However, these 2 cans are slightly above your budget. But it's better than knowing that there's better sound out there and constantly craving for it. of course at the end of the day, everyone would recommend you going down and test the cans yourself. So happy listening. and remember to bring along some of the stuffs that you enjoy listening to :thumbup:

Edited by warsurferX

Hi all, thanks for all the inputs. I went down to SE and finally got the MS2. After listening to MS1, SR80, SR225, and MS2, I just couldn't resist the detail and clarity of the MS2. Thanks for the folks at SE for allowing me to test so long.

Now the itch comes again, maybe a bit too fast, but I'm wondering if my source is not up to par to pair the MS2. I'm plugging the MS2 directly into a Sony DVD player to listen to my CD, and I found that the sound quality is not as good as when I audition at SE. Then past few days I was listening to some SACDs at Sembawang Music and wow! the quality is exceptional even by just playing the SACD on Marantz CD5400 (not a SACD source) paired with AKG100.

Now, my next question:

1. Is MS2 good enough to pair with a SACD player? I mean is MS2 able to get the most or enough out of SACD? Of course, the much better cans eg. RS1, etc. will be better but is MS2 good enough to get much out of SACD players?

2. If MS2 is good enough or is able to reap much from SACD player, can anyone recommend a budget yet good SACD player?

Thanks.

Now the itch comes again, maybe a bit too fast, but I'm wondering if my source is not up to par to pair the MS2. I'm plugging the MS2 directly into a Sony DVD player to listen to my CD, and I found that the sound quality is not as good as when I audition at SE. Then past few days I was listening to some SACDs at Sembawang Music and wow! the quality is exceptional even by just playing the SACD on Marantz CD5400 (not a SACD source) paired with AKG100.

Source may be one of the issue. However, U may need to burn in ur MS-2s for some time as well.

Hi nakedtoes,

Do MBD carries Alessando series as well?? I only know that they are the dealer for Grado. For warranty issue do we send the phone to them or is there another agent in Singapore that service Grado phone? I am very disappointed with the Grado Main Agent in US since they are very unprofessional in answering my email without giving proper advise on which agent in Singapore to service Grado phone. Is there only two dealers (Stereo & MBD) in Singapore in Singapore for Grado? Senn is definitely much better when comes to customer service and i had no regrets owning two of their headphone, namely HD485 & HD555.

Marc

Hmm... I tested the MS-1 today and it was really good for the price and the next thing is to go down to SE and test out the HD-485. And you had the headphone 1 want. I was wondering why get the MS-1 when u have such a good headphones?

Hmm... I tested the MS-1 today and it was really good for the price and the next thing is to go down to SE and test out the HD-485. And you had the headphone 1 want. I was wondering why get the MS-1 when u have such a good headphones?

Well both sennheiser and grado had different sound characteristics and i would use the grado for less serious listening like the MP3 or Radio while retain the HD555 for music coming from the CDP & int Amp. Senn also better suited for jazz & vocal while the grado for rock & pop. :))

Congrats on your purchase Malhead.. may you have many happy listening moments.

And to answer your question.. does the MS2 "deserve" a better source... well, let's just say that there's no end to "is-this-good-enough". Read in a few posts and most would suggest getting BEST gears that you can afford.. and STICK WITH 'EM!