a6laze

white noise in 2g ipod shuffle.

Does anyone by any chance have a solution to this problem?

The noise is apparent when the shuffle is coupled with higher-end earphones and is constant, meaning that it does not increase when the volume is up-ed. It shows up the moment you flick the on/off switch.

I'm using the ER4p with it.

Thanks heaps.

Edited by a6laze

Your earphones are basically too sensitive, picking up the inherent noise in the electronics.

Add some serial impedance (read: P->S) to solve the problem.

It's not limited to higher-end stuff. Affects all low-impedance earphones, just that it's more apparent in the more isolating models.

Edited by radioactive28

its sensitivity that produce hiss sound and most high end IEM's sensitive are pretty high

if your sensitivity is higher u will likely hear hiss even on low volume

cause ipod stock buds are not very sensitive enough

Edited by Xiao_Catz

think shure one is better cause UE one is long and will make your IEM's plug stick out alot

Edited by Xiao_Catz

I tried the stock apple earbuds and there was no noise. Those are low impedance phones too.

Hence I singled out the more isolating models.

The hiss level is fairly low, enough to be masked by the normal everyday sounds.

IEMs and canalphones, on the other hand, gives about 20~30dB worth of isolation, which makes the hiss apparently louder than the surroundings.

In addition to the UE or Shure volume attenuators, you can probably make your own attenuator by soldering resistors between a pair of male/female connectors.

More trouble, but the components costs less. Lots of info on this at Head-Fi.

EDIT: I thought you have a P->S adapter? You were asking about impedance some time ago, no?

Edited by radioactive28

Alright I got it now. Heeded your advice and added the P->S adapter inline and the hiss is now totally eliminated.

The only drawback is that low frequencies seem a little rolled off now as I do not use an amp in my portable setup which is: 2g ipod shuffle >> P->S adapter >> ER4p.

Anyway, sidetracking, is there a way of concretely ascertaining the sound volume that reaches your ears? I find that as I listen for longer periods, I tend to raise the volume gradually, and I suspect I might be listening at unsafe levels. Then again, I do not actually know the SPL of the music, so there's no way to be sure whether I'm listening at safe levels, the ear not being a very reliable gauge when you listen for a sustained period and get used to the sound level.

Edited by a6laze

Alright I got it now. Heeded your advice and added the P->S adapter inline and the hiss is now totally eliminated.

The only drawback is that low frequencies seem a little rolled off now as I do not use an amp in my portable setup which is: 2g ipod shuffle >> P->S adapter >> ER4p.

Anyway, sidetracking, is there a way of concretely ascertaining the sound volume that reaches your ears? I find that as I listen for longer periods, I tend to raise the volume gradually, and I suspect I might be listening at unsafe levels. Then again, I do not actually know the SPL of the music, so there's no way to be sure whether I'm listening at safe levels, the ear not being a very reliable gauge when you listen for a sustained period and get used to the sound level.

I never quite understand why people say they increase the volume as they listen.

I listen on 10% volume and find that I need to turn it down as time goes.

As a quick and dirty guide, find the level where you can hear comfortably well when in a very quiet place.

Resist the urge to turn up the volume from this, even when in a noisy place.

In fact, regularly turn down the volume.

If the surroundings totally overwhelm the music, switch the music off and keep the earplugs on :D

Edited by radioactive28

Have to agree with radioactive28 on the part of resisting to turn up the volume.

To me the most important thing would be the isolation, as good isolation really helps to keep the volume at a good level.