Sign in to follow this  
storm

Lost with new toys

I've recently added a Xenos 0HA and 30Gb IPOD to complement my MS2... went ahead and bought a line-out dock from SE and a interconnect from Jaben.

Now, I'm lost cos I dunno wat's the interconnect gonna be used for :doh: Is it supposed to be connected from my IPOD headphone jack to the amp's line-in jack? if that's the case, didn't i just buy the interconnect for no use? pls clarify? tks!

Were you just following a hype or something?

iPod -> dock -> interconnect -> amp -> MS-2

If the dock can connect directly to your amp (meaning it has a 1/8" jack), congrats on having an extra IC.

Edited by radioactive28

great... looks like the interconnect is gonna be put up for sale then :(

btw, which option should i go?

1. keep the Analog Reference interconnect (1/8" jack to 1/8" jack) and buy dock or

2. keep the line out dock (connects to amp straight; bought from SE)

which of the above will give better SQ?

hold on a minute. you have amp,lineout dock and IC.

it works this way

podie, attached the dock to the bottom of the podie, attached the interconnect to the lineout dock, and THEN attached it to the input of the amp, then headphone to the headphone out.

so

podie

line out dock

IC

headphoneamp

headphone

clarified? the dock turns the bottom jack of the ipod into a lineout, in which u attached the IC and amp to.

What to get rid of depends on your purpose.

If you're looking at portability, which option is more portable? iPod with one dock, or the other, or even, without?

If you're concerned about sound quality, which option sounds better? Again, is it the iPod with one dock, or the other, or even, without?

(In case you're wondering, this is entirely subjective, so you actually need to listen to find out. We're not going to have an answer straight out.)

A natural question before these 2 would be: are you going to put in more money now to get a new dock, or maybe later, or not at all?

I have this feeling you took the plunge without much thought at all.

hold on a minute. you have amp,lineout dock and IC.

it works this way

podie, attached the dock to the bottom of the podie, attached the interconnect to the lineout dock, and THEN attached it to the input of the amp, then headphone to the headphone out.

so

podie

line out dock

IC

headphoneamp

headphone

clarified? the dock turns the bottom jack of the ipod into a lineout, in which u attached the IC and amp to.

I think he got the i-affinity or i-cresendo, which has the line-out 1/8" jack built in, hence the dilemma of having to dump one of his new toys.

the dock that i have has the interconnect soldered...

ya, you are right... bought without system thinking :( was too anxious to get the set up asap... will try to get a dock and compare in that case then. tks!

IMO, keep the IC, so when you want to burn in your amp, you can plug it into any audio out rather than just the ipod, also, the IC can be useful when you do not wish to use the lineout i.e. over a PA system

IMO, keep the IC, so when you want to burn in your amp, you can plug it into any audio out rather than just the ipod, also, the IC can be useful when you do not wish to use the lineout i.e. over a PA system

hmm.. can just use a stock IC for the PA system...

don't make no difference.

I guess, at the end of the day, you have to figure out whether u'll want to use other cables as your I/Cs. Diff cables have diff sound sig and the diff is rather apparent, IMHO.

On the other hand if you use the using docks + separate I/Cs, it might be a little "loose", therefore, might not be fantastic if you travel around with your player and amp.

I guess, at the end of the day, you have to figure out whether u'll want to use other cables as your I/Cs. Diff cables have diff sound sig and the diff is rather apparent, IMHO.

IMO, that may not always be the case to every user, especially if the MS-2 is also part of the OP new toys.

I haven't heard the Ultimate Link yet, but among the Analogue Reference, I believe there's one that's not as obviously different in terms of sound.

@ OP: if the MS-2 is indeed new to you, you might want to spend some time with it on just the the iPod, or what ever source it may be. Let its sound signature and nuances burn into your mind. With that, you will have a more solid reference when comparing the amp and the ICs.

Edited by radioactive28