Sign in to follow this  
DemonicAngelz

RSA Tomahawk or Hornet?

Now Jaben taking pre-orders. Stock coming in next month.

Good thing they only collect 50% deposit. So I was thinking of ordering one, since I can take one mth to raise the other 50% :rclxms:

But the question, but which? Comes to mind instantly.

Hornets are $120 more than the Tomahawk, and I will be using them with UM1 and MS-1s (soon). So I was wondering if the extra money spent is worth it.

Furthermore, the hornet's minimum volume is not exactly "minimum" if I use IEMs according to Uncle wilson.

I'd have to get the Ety P to S cable that costs a low 3 digit figure to get it.

I don't feel that I will be getting a high impedance amp anytime soon as well. But the hornet in reviews have a more "punchy" feel. I have also read that their bass is very similar after hundreds of hours of burning in.

The tomahawk is more portable at the same time as well :wacko: Then again, I am not sure if the extra $120 is worth my money if I get it.

I am using an Xtra X-1 Pro btw.

I would recommend Tomahwak if you are using IEMs & low impedance heaphones.

Jump straight to SR-71 when you decided on high impledance cans later.

Edited by max007007

I would recommend Tomahawk if you are using IEMs & low impedance headphones.

Jump straight to SR-71 when you decided on high impedance cans later.

Thats what I felt too. I think the hornet abit over kill.

im gonna throw u a curve ball and tell u to audition a GoVibe v6 (ad8620). super detailed airy soundstage with good dynamics and decent bottom end (its not a bassheads dream however). background is totally black on mine (low gain version used with iM716/ES7/ksc75 and occationally HD600). best of all, its 1/3 the price of a Tomahawk and 1/4 the Hornet. u do the math :)

Went ahead to order the tomahawk. Hope I wun regret.

I believe you will be a happy owner of TH, just give it enough time to run-in , something like 500 - 600 hours before you do any critical listening...

BTW, make sure you feed the little fella using the line out signal of the ipod instead of headphone out. Makes some significant diff in terms of sound quality ...

im gonna throw u a curve ball and tell u to audition a GoVibe v6 (ad8620). super detailed airy soundstage with good dynamics and decent bottom end (its not a bassheads dream however). background is totally black on mine (low gain version used with iM716/ES7/ksc75 and occationally HD600). best of all, its 1/3 the price of a Tomahawk and 1/4 the Hornet. u do the math :)

Although I am using a TH now, I kinda agreed with scottiebabie that you should check out govibe v6, especially when you are on budget. The online review in headfi looks promising and a friend has just ordered 1. Will probably do some comparison with my TH after he received and ran-in the go-vibe v6.

Although I am using a TH now, I kinda agreed with scottiebabie that you should check out govibe v6, especially when you are on budget. The online review in headfi looks promising and a friend has just ordered 1. Will probably do some comparison with my TH after he received and ran-in the go-vibe v6.

Already ordered. Too late.

Already ordered. Too late.

Then be happy with the decision and wait for it to reach you ...

O btw, i also run a 24v regulated PSU to my govibe 6 (with NiMh battery out) and to my ears, it scaled up a notch or 2 so i highly recommended u do a comparo with that 2. IMO it turns into a very nice home amp to drive even HD600s.

FWIW i also recently adopted a RSA Tomahawk and the Govibe complements the TH very nicely.

O btw, i also run a 24v regulated PSU to my govibe 6 (with NiMh battery out) and to my ears, it scaled up a notch or 2 so i highly recommended u do a comparo with that 2. IMO it turns into a very nice home amp to drive even HD600s.

FWIW i also recently adopted a RSA Tomahawk and the Govibe complements the TH very nicely.

How many hours you have on the TH? Wonder how a 24V powered GV6 compared to a 600-hour old TH... How diff do they sound?

Also, which 24V supply are you using now? where did you buy it?

Edited by hnx676

Erh dun u think it is unfair to compare the powered go-vide(desktop amp) to a portable TH? Cos power ones tend to haf more sophisticated circuitry and perhaps more juice to drive the phone's driver?

Erh dun u think it is unfair to compare the powered go-vide(desktop amp) to a portable TH? Cos power ones tend to haf more sophisticated circuitry and perhaps more juice to drive the phone's driver?

Different amplifier has been designed for different purposes. So I would not say it's unfair or not. It may be right to say AC powered amp has more juice and power, but battery powered amp does not have to deal with AC noise and power regulation and filtration.

GV6 can actually powered by a 9V battery when you need to use it for portable purposes. However when use as a desktop amp, it's recommended to use a regulated 24V DC supply (for GV6M) which claimed to have better drive. BTW, the regulated 24V AC/DC converter cost about 60 to 70 bucks, not cheap at all...

i had a fren DIY me a infinitely variable 5-26V linear regulated PSU coz i know it'll be useful for lotsa things. my Govibe6 is a non M model but according to norm, i can power it up with 24v if i remove the battery. plus i can also power it with 12V and charge the battery. so i got the best of both world really.

i also got lucky as the RSA Tommy i adopted already has 600-800 hrs. saved me a whole buncha burn-in time i tell ya. re. SQ, in battery mode only, i believe the Tommy's better. goes deeper with a full, lush 3D soundstage while being very detailed - its almost tube-like. the Goshow6 OTOH gives a wider soundstage, with similiar high resolution but a little light in the bottom end and not quite the lush 3D effect of the Tommy.

Tommy goes great with iM716/ER4 coz it brings out more bass and smooths the extreme highs while retaining the detailed clarity and lush mids. the Govibe goes great with my ES7 coz it opens up the closed fon soundstage slightly and made it much more balanced by de-emphasizing the heavier bottom while providing open detailed highs. all in all, they both complement each other depending on the cans used.

powered by 24V, the Goshow gains more control over all frequencies but esp. bass. much better slam, impact and PRaT. 24V Goshow give a very impressive "big" home amp type sound that to these ears is comparable to my Zhaolu D2 discrete headamp and PPAv2 (3xopa627s). YMMV