Sign in to follow this  
DemonicAngelz

RSA Tomahawk or Hornet?

i had a fren DIY me a infinitely variable 5-26V linear regulated PSU coz i know it'll be useful for lotsa things. my Govibe6 is a non M model but according to norm, i can power it up with 24v if i remove the battery. plus i can also power it with 12V and charge the battery. so i got the best of both world really.

So what's the diff of GV6 and GV6M? Does that means with GV6, you can remove the NiMH battery and use 24V DC? And for GV6M, you can leave the battery inside and still use 24V DC?

Sorry for deviate from the topic , now :b2t ...

Edited by hnx676

Different amplifier has been designed for different purposes. So I would not say it's unfair or not. It may be right to say AC powered amp has more juice and power, but battery powered amp does not have to deal with AC noise and power regulation and filtration.

GV6 can actually powered by a 9V battery when you need to use it for portable purposes. However when use as a desktop amp, it's recommended to use a regulated 24V DC supply (for GV6M) which claimed to have better drive. BTW, the regulated 24V AC/DC converter cost about 60 to 70 bucks, not cheap at all...

True but the circuitry of powered amps have can do more wonders generally and can better drive headphones. Much like comparing IEM to headphones. Anyway the powewr condtioners i dun think are that cheap like $70? HAha i always thought they cost more.

So what's the diff of GV6 and GV6M? Does that means with GV6, you can remove the NiMH battery and use 24V DC? And for GV6M, you can leave the battery inside and still use 24V DC?

Edit: My bad. Mistook it to be the same as v5S

Edited by DemonicAngelz

if i understood Norm of Govibe correctly, the new V6 comes with 12v charging circuit to charge the internal 9.6v NiMh battery. downside is V6 can only be powered up with 12v linear regulated PSU. any higher V and the 9.6v battery gets fried.

V6m comes without the internal battery charging circuit so it can be powered with up to 24v for maximum SQ. downside is the 9.6v battery has to be charged externally.

i wrote Norm and discovered that the V6 can be effective turned into a V6m by removing the 9.6v NiMh before plugging in 24v PSU. to me, the reg GV6 is a more convienent choice. YMMV.

I think 6m can change op-amp :unsure:

nope as far as i know, GV6 is non opamp rollable. everything is smt'd. U might be able to roll opamps if u can solder/desolder smt pcbs.

nope as far as i know, GV6 is non opamp rollable. everything is smt'd. U might be able to roll opamps if u can solder/desolder smt pcbs.

Sry I mistook it to be the same as v5S

True but the circuitry of powered amps have can do more wonders generally and can better drive headphones. Much like comparing IEM to headphones. Anyway the powewr condtioners i dun think are that cheap like $70? HAha i always thought they cost more.

There are many factor contributing to the sound quality of an amplifier. That's why there are some hifi product goes all the way in using battery power in their product line...

As for the AC/DC regulated power supply, it's not a power conditioner. A good AC power conditioner can cost $$$$ but we are talking about a regulated version of the AC/DC converter that can output 24V DC. I just saw one today at the Hardware DIY store and it's about 70 bucks, which is already quite expensive IMHO.

I think 6m can change op-amp :unsure:

Don't think so. I believe that's exclusively for GV5s only ....

if i understood Norm of Govibe correctly, the new V6 comes with 12v charging circuit to charge the internal 9.6v NiMh battery. downside is V6 can only be powered up with 12v linear regulated PSU. any higher V and the 9.6v battery gets fried.

V6m comes without the internal battery charging circuit so it can be powered with up to 24v for maximum SQ. downside is the 9.6v battery has to be charged externally.

i wrote Norm and discovered that the V6 can be effective turned into a V6m by removing the 9.6v NiMh before plugging in 24v PSU. to me, the reg GV6 is a more convienent choice. YMMV.

Thanks for the info sharing... Just learn something new today :D

There are many factor contributing to the sound quality of an amplifier. That's why there are some hifi product goes all the way in using battery power in their product line...

As for the AC/DC regulated power supply, it's not a power conditioner. A good AC power conditioner can cost $$$$ but we are talking about a regulated version of the AC/DC converter that can output 24V DC. I just saw one today at the Hardware DIY store and it's about 70 bucks, which is already quite expensive IMHO.

Don't think so. I believe that's exclusively for GV5s only ....

Thanks for the info sharing... Just learn something new today :D

Cool must check out tis power regulator. Haha i alwasys thought that they are the same as power conditioner. LOL.

Cool must check out tis power regulator. Haha i alwasys thought that they are the same as power conditioner. LOL.

I found it at The DIY store at basement of CoastWay Point, Woodland. May be available at other branch also. Looks like a charger for labtop silver in color....

can anyone give me a summary of the use of an amp if im gonna be listening to my iPod through a UM2? im new here pls excuse me...

Amps are technically to provide a constant supply of power to your earphones thats is free from limited capabilities of your ipod built in amp. They also color the sound depending on their build making the sound more interesting to listen to. By providing sufficient and constant amount of power, they allow your earphones to work at their best .

The better the amp, the better the sound output but this doesnt mean better sound as each person have their own liking. Generally better amps does make your sound better but the coloration may not be to your liking.

Amps are technically to provide a constant supply of power to your earphones thats is free from limited capabilities of your ipod built in amp. They also color the sound depending on their build making the sound more interesting to listen to. By providing sufficient and constant amount of power, they allow your earphones to work at their best .

The better the amp, the better the sound output but this doesnt mean better sound as each person have their own liking. Generally better amps does make your sound better but the coloration may not be to your liking.

Could not agree more ... So it's always advisable to try listen to the amp first before shell out the green ... But mostly it's easier said then done ...

Lol jake i thought u got the tomahawk liao. So no need to think so much liao, Sit back relax and wait for the little fellow to come in :beer: