Sign in to follow this  
DemonicAngelz

A real small review about the Storm B-4 amp

After my Xtra X-1 Pro amp had been continually giving me problems, I got this from Uncle Wilson. You can go call him and disturb him about the price of this thing, its seriously good value for the money you pay. Giving this small review to return him the favor and for his delicious Baguette with secret olive oil mix. :P

Testing setup:

Source: Ipod Photo 30gb with line out dock

Interconnect used: DIY pure silver cable

Amplifier: Storm B-4 amp

Headset used: Audio Technica A900 and Westone UM1s

Firstly, some specifications about this amplifier.

*Disclaimer: I copied these specifications off a website. I have no idea how true they are and have no way of verifying. I believe it is more or less correct.*

Chipsets used:

- 2 x 79/80 year 5534

- 1 x OPA2227P×1

- 3 x BUF634P×3

Potentiometer: NOBLE

Capicitors: Panasonic FC

Battery: 12V Ni-MH

Frequency: 0Hz-200KHz-0.2dB

Drive Impedance:8Ω-600Ω

SNR: 103dB

THD: 0.002%

Input Impedance: 0.08Ω

Output Power:

16 Ω:::::RMS:250MW top:2000MW

32 Ω:::::RMS:500MW top:3998MW

64 Ω:::::RMS:275MW top:2203MW

120Ω:::::RMS:147MW top:1175MW

250Ω:::::RMS:70.5MW top:564MW

300Ω:::::RMS:58.8MW top:470MW

600Ω:::::RMS:29.4MW top:235MW

Jack:3.5mm

Estimated battery life per charge: 22 hours

PSU: DC 15V/1000mA

AC Power:220V/50Hz

It was said to use brand new 4CH(4 channels) technology, there is no capacitance and inductance in signal channel of amp,directly through,bass response can be low to 0HZ.

Okay, enough of the nitty gritty lets get to how good it actually sounds.

I think this set had already some hours on it, but for the sake of this review, I will just take it as "out-of-the-box" condition.

My scale is rated from 0 to 10. With 0 being the lowest score that you can get, and 10 being the highest.

Build: 8/10

Made of brushed metal. This amp looks quite decent. Generally no grumble about the build quality, its generally one of the higher end cases, not the cheap Hammold ones that you get.

Sound quality: 7.5/10

Bass:

The punch that this amp gives you is roughly say.. 7.5 out of 10. 0 being no kick at all, 10 being for bass-head lovers only and 5 is probably what is called acceptable by most. Bass is fast and clear. Generally its not the muddy kind that you get.

Midrange:

The midrange in this amp is good. I would give it roughly 8 out of 10. Its clean and clear, great for vocals if you like listening to more vocal-based music.

Treble:

I would say treble here is neutral, but somewhat towards the high side. This might improve with further running in but I would say it would be acceptable in most headsets, but probably not ones that are overly bright.

Miscellaneous:

- Serious problem when you have a phone with you. I ran a simple experiment using my handphone. Lets take the amp placing flat on the table top, if you have a phone on the side, you would get the radio interference in a 10cm radius. This is still acceptable. However if you have the handphone over the amp, you would get radio interference well over 80cm above the amp. You would have to really watch how this amp is placed in your bag, if not you may get really disastrous results.

- The size is portable, but not exactly what I call small.

- Lacks a charging indicator

- Battery not interchangeable, meaning if you bring this to travel, you would have to have a power plug to charge it.

In general this amp scores a 8 for value-for-moneyness. Great amp to get. It is definitely an improvement in sound over amps like the Xtra X-1 Pro, PA2V2, Minibox-E, GoVibe v5, iBasso. I still like the Headamp AE-2 better. Eagerly awaiting my tomahawk. Photos would be up soon, don't worry.

Very nice looking amp and not very expensive. Maybe I should try it out considering im looking for mid lvl amp for portable lol. Home equipement is still for me now kekeke

Very nice looking amp and not very expensive. Maybe I should try it out considering im looking for mid lvl amp for portable lol. Home equipement is still for me now kekeke

If looking for mid level portable amp, should check out the go vibe offerings ...

http://www.go-vibe-headphoneamp.com/Home_Page.html

It usually take slightly more then 1 week to reach Singapore ...