Sign in to follow this  
cranberries

Open Vs Closed Cans

Open is usually airier sounding and do not sound 'boxy' .Also they usually have bigger soundstage and less hot to wear biggrin.gif . It's advisable to be worn only for home setup.

closed headphone usually has more bass due to the trapped back. But the soundstage sometimes is smaller with the exception of some like the (sony cd3k which has big ss). also the closed is best used when going out (portable) , on the bus, etc as they tend to isolate and doesn't leak sound.

If you want to get home setup, usually go for open because money to money open headphone will usually sound better than closed headphone. It's just very hard to get closed headphones that sound right. And it's easier to do so with the open headphone.

If you are looking to wear them outside and need the isolation, get the closed, like the sony v6 or something. It's foldable, closed, and has good bass

As yet and in my limited experience, Beyer DT770 (closed) and AKG501 (opened) cans are on the extreme poles and highlight the difference of the 2 different designs very well. Semi-opened back cans offer a good balance between the aforementioned types.

personally i prefer closed no matter it is for portable or home use. I like sound isolation, as ppl would complain about me tuning up the volume at nite, especially when they need a piece of silence tongue.gif

i got PX40 as a portable open phone, a warmer phone compare to my current hd 202. Anyway, it's just IMHO wink.gif

p/s: my hd 202 is considered semi-open as it only provide some isolation, plus it is a supra-aural phone

yeap that's why I said open is really when you are alone and want to get the best fidelity.

When you're sharing the room with someone you need to be considerate and wear a closed headphone.

I love closed headphone too, just that I nowadays prefer open due to its enormously large soundstage (models like 880, hd600 etc)

The soundstage is good on my AKG501s but I cant use them here at my matews house ( i need privacy). Too much noise leaks in and out.

I would prefer closed Cans as not to disturb my family when viewing DVDs at night.

I'm not into Cans but are there semi-closed Cans? Can you guys help me name a few?

Many Thanks.

semi closed?

BeyerDynamic dt880 , ...

ermm that's all I can think for now mate biggrin.gif

hi arronej,

glad you like them

hd280 is not bad.. but don't crank them too loud though.. no good for hearing wink.gif

I believe the HD600 to be fully open rather than semi-open.