Sign in to follow this  
lazerteo

Need advice on SR60

Very new here..

Have been hearing alot abt the Gardo SR60 and was wondering if it'll go well with my iPod (30G). Afraid that iPod will not be "powerful" enough to properly power SR60, therefore rendering it quite unsuitable for iPod use. Any other recommendations? Listening mainly to Rock Jazz, Prog Metal and blues.

Pls advice..

Welcome to sgheadphones.

The Grado SR60 are not difficult to drive therefore the ipod (30GB) can handle them pretty ok.

Maybe you can first tell us your budget and usage ( home or on the go)then we can start recommending you a few to try.

If you have no problem with a open back headphone you should consider the Grado SR60 or stretch your budet a little to get the Grado SR80 or Alessandro MS-1.

For closed back headphone you can consider,

1. Sennheiser PX200

2. AKG K26P

3. AKG K81DJ

4. Creative Aurvana DJ

As for which would sound better, you should just try them.

SR60 are easy to drive... my K618 can drive them and that means ur ipod can do so too... if u don mind adding arnd $20 more to ur $150 budget... get SR80 for $170, they're more detailed on highs.. but SR80 will come with bowls. SR60 will appear to be booming with bass. more than SR80 and that is caused by their cushions. if u want the details of SR80 and bass of SR60, get SR80 with SR60's cushions (the comfies)...

Edited by Fuzzy Fuzzbucket

Thought sr60 is going round $120? At $170 would rather go for the Alessandro Ms1 instead. They're more friendly towards various music genres. And yea experimenting with the various ear pads will influence the sound to some extent too.

Edited by nofing

MS1 is kinda in par with the SR80 and their price are also near $160 and $170 respectively... in terms of details, SR80 is more precise in the highs while MS1 has precise lows. maybe coz MS1 comes with comfies and SR80 with bowls when i tried them out... :cans:

Edited by Fuzzy Fuzzbucket

Dear all,

Just like to pop in a question. Do SR60, SR80 and MS1 share the same drivers? Am thinking of buying one for modding, not sure which to get.

Nope, they are not the same driver. I personally prefer to mod from a SR-80, most of what the SR-80 is lacking to me can be improved by changing the cable and the pads( I'm not referring to the HD414 ).

hey friend,

i suggest you look on head-fi or even eBay

many sellers are willing to ship overseas for a few dollars more (at cost~)

so you can get a pair of sr80's for ~90US shipped?

cheers

Nope, they are not the same driver. I personally prefer to mod from a SR-80, most of what the SR-80 is lacking to me can be improved by changing the cable and the pads( I'm not referring to the HD414 ).

you must be referring to grado flats:

IPB Image

I'm not sure where you can source these (they don't seem to come up often)....

i suggest you look on head-fi or even eBay

many sellers are willing to ship overseas for a few dollars more (at cost~)

so you can get a pair of sr80's for ~90US shipped?

that's about S$135. might as well get them locally right? support local headphone community =) or u can buy 2nd hand classified

Edited by warsurferX

that's about S$135. might as well get them locally right? support local headphone community =) or u can buy 2nd hand classified

well you're saving %40 buying overseas

:party:

well you're saving %40 buying overseas

:party:

$140 vs local $170, personally I would just test and buy from a local store.