Sign in to follow this  
lazerteo

Need advice on SR60

Nope, they are not the same driver. I personally prefer to mod from a SR-80, most of what the SR-80 is lacking to me can be improved by changing the cable and the pads( I'm not referring to the HD414 ).

Dear Aron,

Can you kindly advised wat are the mod option available for SR80 in term of improving the sound stage & bass extension enhancement? Is it better to mod the SR80 or MS-1 to get greater musicality?

Your inputs are greatly appreciated.

Marc :))

Dear Aron,

Can you kindly advised wat are the mod option available for SR80 in term of improving the sound stage & bass extension enhancement? Is it better to mod the SR80 or MS-1 to get greater musicality?

Your inputs are greatly appreciated.

Marc :))

There is a simple(cheap;$3) yet effective mod to impoving the comfort and sound (tame the brightness and improve the bass slightly). I came across this in one of the older thread(contributed by another member in sgheadphones) and after some testing with different materials and type , I finally found one which works pretty well on the SR-80. I prefer this pad mod to the HD-414.

IPB Image

Remove the grado orginal bowl pads

IPB Image

A $3 small headphone replacement pads ( note: there is many types in different thickness and sizes)

IPB Image

Use the cheap headphone pads to cover over the SR80

IPB Image

Put the original SR80 pads back over the cheap headphone pads

IPB Image

Final.

In regards to cables, I've tried too many to mention which was better, since every combo has it's strength and weaknesses. But speaking of bass, I recently tried the QED Qunex 2 cable on my SR80 and it not only gave it more bass but better control over it. Also try any 3.5mm connectors except neutrik, didn't like the sound with the neutrik plugs on the QED but no harm trying if you're a neutrik plug fan.

Both Grado SR80 and Alessandro MS-1 are musical if you enjoy the tone and sound from it.

Dear Aron

Thanks for the detailed demonstration for the mod. I do have a pair of ear pad taken from SIA flight :P . I wonder whether this mod will dampen the details of the SR80 but will still give it a try. My previous experience in changing the bowl pad to the flat pad is that the bass is bloomy but details is dampened. Interesting to see whether putting the bowl pad over the flat pad will enhance back the details, if so then we already strike gold :))

Nevertheless many thanks for your advices. Will try qunnex cable later...in fact i do have spare qunnex silver anniversary from my previous hifi set up ke ke :D

Finally bought SR60.. Great phones.

It seems that the sr60 produces "crackling" sound when music goes into deep bass phase, didnt expect the sr60 to do this since its well known for its bass. I checked for any dirt or hair in the driver and found none. Heard that these things will cause a little problem with the driver.

Is there a fault with the driver or could it be just the music thats to "bassy"?

Pls advice. Thanks :))

Finally bought SR60.. Great phones.

It seems that the sr60 produces "crackling" sound when music goes into deep bass phase, didnt expect the sr60 to do this since its well known for its bass. I checked for any dirt or hair in the driver and found none. Heard that these things will cause a little problem with the driver.

Is there a fault with the driver or could it be just the music thats to "bassy"?

Pls advice. Thanks :))

i got my SR-60s a week ago or more... i find that the 60s will amplify any signal... the basses may become too much even when listening to classical stuff. i personally am a fan of pipe organs and is is usual to have frequencies of around 40 and below. those can be irritating with some players... one solution is to reduce the bass output from your player... but the thing i like about those SR60s is that i can hear the plucking of the double bass and not just the frequency the bass string produce which is just like real life bass somewhere near you... :D

where u got your 60s from?

post-3628-1184819870.jpg

Dear Aron

Thanks for the detailed demonstration for the mod. I do have a pair of ear pad taken from SIA flight :P . I wonder whether this mod will dampen the details of the SR80 but will still give it a try. My previous experience in changing the bowl pad to the flat pad is that the bass is bloomy but details is dampened. Interesting to see whether putting the bowl pad over the flat pad will enhance back the details, if so then we already strike gold :))

Nevertheless many thanks for your advices. Will try qunnex cable later...in fact i do have spare qunnex silver anniversary from my previous hifi set up ke ke :D

I tried the silver anniversary but didn't do much to the bass and I didn't like the way it made a lot of my piano tracks sound a bit shrill. Tried to change from Canare F12 to the Switchcraft mini but didn't seem to help a lot too. Hope you have better luck. B)

i got my SR-60s a week ago or more... i find that the 60s will amplify any signal... the basses may become too much even when listening to classical stuff. i personally am a fan of pipe organs and is is usual to have frequencies of around 40 and below. those can be irritating with some players... one solution is to reduce the bass output from your player... but the thing i like about those SR60s is that i can hear the plucking of the double bass and not just the frequency the bass string produce which is just like real life bass somewhere near you...

Got it from Stereo Electronics..

i got my SR-60s a week ago or more... i find that the 60s will amplify any signal... the basses may become too much even when listening to classical stuff. i personally am a fan of pipe organs and is is usual to have frequencies of around 40 and below. those can be irritating with some players... one solution is to reduce the bass output from your player... but the thing i like about those SR60s is that i can hear the plucking of the double bass and not just the frequency the bass string produce which is just like real life bass somewhere near you... :D

I got my SR80 from Stereo Electronics at Causeway Point too and it is a good place to try out your desired headphones before committing to the right one. To cut down your SR60 bass, you can also consider switching to the bowl pad of the SR80 which will also improves the details slightly and tighten the bass.

Good luck & thanks Aron for the kind inputs again and one day got to buy him a coffee when i dropby the shop :P

Marcus

I got my SR80 from Stereo Electronics at Causeway Point too and it is a good place to try out your desired headphones before committing to the right one. To cut down your SR60 bass, you can also consider switching to the bowl pad of the SR80 which will also improves the details slightly and tighten the bass.

Good luck & thanks Aron for the kind inputs again and one day got to buy him a coffee when i dropby the shop :P

Marcus

haha yup... i change to the bowls 2 days after i got the 60s. i don't quite like the comffies... i did wat aron showed above and i like it now. it sounds just nice now... :D

Got it from Stereo Electronics..

You can bring it down for a check if you're unsure, before my stocks run out.

- Very high volume playback on bassy tracks can cause cracking sound.

- Under powered source ( MP3 player, handphone, etc) turn beyond output power may result in clipping or cracking sound. ( Like you scream to the top of your voice trying to sound like Celine dion but simply cannot make it...)

- Poor mp3 recording may result in cracking sound at high volume. (very normal)

I tried the silver anniversary but didn't do much to the bass and I didn't like the way it made a lot of my piano tracks sound a bit shrill. Tried to change from Canare F12 to the Switchcraft mini but didn't seem to help a lot too. Hope you have better luck. B)

I tried your new Alessandro MS-1 mod at your shop yesterday night when you were not around, it's damn good! :thumbup: what is it all about? I see the cable was different but the MS-1 sounds so different from the one I have at home that I had a feeling you did something to it.... :think:

-ohn' date='23 Jul 2007, 09:45 AM' post='93222']

I tried your new Alessandro MS-1 mod at your shop yesterday night when you were not around, it's damn good! :thumbup: what is it all about? I see the cable was different but the MS-1 sounds so different from the one I have at home that I had a feeling you did something to it.... :think:

hey!! i saw those too!!! i was staring at those ms1 thinking when did alessandro came with diff cables...i didnt try them though... :D

-ohn' date='23 Jul 2007, 09:45 AM' post='93222']

That's my latest MS-1 mod, so far so good. :thumbup: