Sign in to follow this  
zonoyono

Interconnects within the Amplifier

Hi guys,

I have just finished a AMP 5 amplifier... got to thank heady for his thread on AMP 5:) cheers for heady

IPB Image

I was just wondering what would be a good interconnects to be used within the Amplifier.

Is EMI shielded wire important?.

Currently I am using some super thin belden wire recommended by Koba

And canare cable for the interconnects from the amp to speaker.

Any good recommendation?

cheers,

zonoyono

Edited by zonoyono

Great, zonoyono. I used some stranded speaker wires for the pcb to speaker terminals. For the RCA to pcb, I used some silver coated internconnect wires from Koba. All not shielded, I twist them to minimise any interference.

Hi,

I use the wires from some spare Canare 4S11 that I had to wire from the PCB to the speaker terminals. For the line input from the RCA, I used the 14awg UPOCC copper wires from AHFartaudio. Both are twisted.

Regards

CK

Edited by ckng

Thx for the input..

Probably.. got to try both methods and see whether there is a difference in them. :sweat:

but for amp 5.. power line from the transformer is connect close to the speaker out wire..

I am not sure whether the power line AC 60hz would affect the speaker out wire...

think the shielded wire might be better.. :think:

IPB Image

Cheers,

zonoyono

Hi,

Thx for the input..

Probably.. got to try both methods and see whether there is a difference in them. :sweat:

but for amp 5.. power line from the transformer is connect close to the speaker out wire..

I am not sure whether the power line AC 60hz would affect the speaker out wire...

think the shielded wire might be better.. :think:

IPB Image

Cheers,

zonoyono

Don't worry too much about that. Most commercial amps are like that anyway, there is no discernable quality drop. The AC 50Hz interference is hardly enough to interfere with the much higher level speaker outputs.

For your layout, I recommend that you rotate the PCB 90 deg counter clockwise so that the power supply/speaker out side of the PCB faces your transformer. Then move your RCA/speaker outs to the top/back of the casing. That will minimize wire length. Here is mine, before I changed all the wiring and tidied them up.

IPB Image

Regards

CK

Good reply, CK. I will add this - remember this is a class D amp, it generates a huge amount of RFI too, so if that doesn't affect the sound, I doubt 50Hz will unless you can hear a hum.

Thx, Ck.

I will try to relocate my board soon.. ,

by the way I am using the same transformer and casing as you.

I noticed that the transformer generate a Electromagnetic Force on the case, which cause case to produce a low hum. What i did was to placed some cupboard below the transformer reduce the low hum.

Pretty hard to describe, got to let you see some photos. will take some time though, haven't got access to a digital camera.

Cheers,

zhiyao

Thx, Ck.

I noticed that the transformer generate a Electromagnetic Force on the case, which cause case to produce a low hum. What i did was to placed some cupboard below the transformer reduce the low hum.

Pretty hard to describe, got to let you see some photos. will take some time though, haven't got access to a digital camera.

Cheers,

zhiyao

Hmm. Both CK and I also use the same transformer from Farnell. My first transformer hummed even out of the casing. This was due to the coils being loosed. I complained and received a replacement from Farnell. The replacement did not hum at all.

If you are getting a mechanical hum (not from the speakers but from the casing), the tranformer coil may be loose.

Thx, Ck.

Cheers,

zhiyao

Hi,

I don't have a hum on the transformer, but it does produce a big "crunch" from the steel casing sometimes during power up. Dunno how to prevent that though. If I had the opportunity, I'll get a 22-0-22V toroidal to replace it. :)

Regards

CK