Sign in to follow this  
ablaze

New Ultrasone cans

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showthread....adid=40999'

Jan Meier's review of the new Ultrasone cans, for those who haven't seen it smile.gif

Dear headfellows,

People who remember my previous reviews on the products of Ultrasone know that I've always been quite a big fan of their closed headphones. The HFI-600 (now discontinued) and its successors HFI-650 Trackmaster and HFI-650 DVD-Edition are IMHO some of the most recommendable systems availabe, especially considering their price.

A few days ago I received the newest additions to the Ultrasone headphone family. Two closed systems that by their specifications looked very promising. I gave them a 48 hours break-and next compared them to a HFI-650 Trackmaster and a Sennheiser HD600.

In shape, weight, and comfort the new models are very similar to the HFI-650 series. The phones are well-build but a little bit heavy (350 gramms) and warm to wear. Main differences are in the colors used (see pictures) and in the cables. The Beatmaster comes with a 10 feet straight cable. The cable of the DJ1 is partly coiled and measures approximately 7 feet unstretched, 11 feet stretched.

The HFI-650 models have an impedance of 75 Ohm. Although they can be directly driven by portables I've always felt a decent headamp to be a must for optimal results.

The new HFI-550 models are more easy to drive. With an impedance of 32 Ohm and a high efficiency they need less voltage and promise to be an easy load for portables. I haven't tried them with a portable though as mine is currently in use by my girlfriend.

I've always found the names of the HFI-650Trackmaster and HFI-650 DVD-Edition to be very appropriate. The Trackmaster has a more neutral balance and gives more inner detail (at the expense of being a little bit sibilant sometimes). The DVD-Edition provides more effect and sensation at the lower frequencies. Better or worse is just a matter of taste.

Similarly the names of the HFI-550 models were also found to be very appropriate.

The Beatmaster has been especifically designed for professional use by drummers and bass players and puts an emphasis on the upper bass and has slightly recessed highs. This brings out the rhythm in the music very clearly but micro-details are somewhat lost in the process. Soundstage is a little bit hollow. The phone is easy to listen to and very relaxed as sound has lost almost all traces of agressiveness and edginess.

The DJ1 has been designed for DJs (Hip-Hop, Rock, Pop, R&B) and its sonic balance is in between that of the Trackmaster and the DVD-edition. Very deep (but not overblown) bass and a smooth transition to the middle and upper frequencies. At low-medium sound levels that is. At higher sound levels I found this phone to become hard-hitting and edgy, probably as a result of driver break-up. Not a big problem for me, as I'm used to listen at very moderate levels (keeps my ears healthy!) but people who like to turn-up volume should be well aware of this characteristic. (I wouldn't be surprised though, if DJs really like this effect, which is very commonly heard with loudspeakers at higher volumes).

Apart from sonic balance, the Trackmaster and DVD-Edition show more ease and effortless in the musical presentation than the new models. It can not be overheard that these phones have the better drivers. However, be aware that the headphone amplifier used (PREHEAD) is very well able to bring the best out of every headphone. I could well imagine that in combination with a portable the new models are to be preferred because they're more easily driven. Also to be considered are the lower prices. As such both models clearly deserve a recommendation. I personally prefer the DJ1 but my Girlfriend liked the beatmaster more (I know, this doesn't make life easier but that's how it is :-)

Last note: I was told by the General Manager of Ultrasone that the name of the HFI-550 DJ1 will soon be changed to HFI-500 DJ1. Similarly the HFI-650 DVD-Edition will be rename HFI-700 DVD Edition. This should prevent some of the confusion that sometimes exists.

Cheers,

Jan

where's our local Ultrasone dealer anyways?

el scorcho?

never see him in the forum for the past few months already man..

I'm still around. headphone.gif

Sorry I have been MIA for so long. I actually did pop in a couple a times, but didn't post. Anyways, thanks to ablaze for putting up Jan Meier's reviews fo the new Ultrasone cans (though I still only stock HFI-650s).

Been getting a bit of business here and there, but sadly none from SG Headphones. Oh well what the hell... still a nice place to hang out and shoot the breeze about headphones and other imporatnt things in life right? party.gif

RIGHT! wink.gif

btw, hongchan was looking for you to buy philips cans the other day. so don't say no business biggrin.gif

Yep, thanks for the heads-up, ablaze. thumbup1.gif

He pm'ed already, probably after you pointed him in the right direction, i.e., my direction. haha.gif