Sign in to follow this  
Tenson

AKG K1000-For lack of a more intriguing title

Well, I have sorted a deal out with Meier-audio. Going to buy them, and at the expence of EUR20 I can return them if I am not satisfied with the sound. Just got to sort some money out for the kind people! laugh.gif

You lot have been exxxxxxtreemly helpful! So a big THANK-YOU! yeah.gif

I will keep you informed on what happens, what I think they sound like etc..

You decided to try out the K1000? Good luck!

Well hello again!

They arrived tis evening! Took a bit of fidderling with to get it connected up right, but I now have it on a switch box so I can do A/B test with my speakers.

First impressions were that they sounded very good, but did lose out to my speakers. However after about 5 hours playing they have loosened up quite allot! Right now it is sooo hard to chose between them. The phones are a bit more detailed, but not allot. (very detailed speakers) The soundstage is very impressive, although it is not as wide as the speakers it is there, and more wrapped round you rather than in front, which I think I could get used to. Allot better than the left/right soundstage of other headphones I have heard. The biggest impression is that they are veerrry liquid sounding. I think if they continue to run in for another 50 or so hours as they have done in the last 5 hours then they may well be a substitute for my speakers!

Impression of friend 'They look like they were put together in 5 minuets from bits of old 60's radios. But when someone puts them oh.. Ooohh its all kinds of funky!'

Question: What do you all think would be better, a valve amp in class-A Single ended or a push-pull but operating within the class-A range. I read somewhere that single ended amps sound more blurred. I like detail, but push-pull has the disadvantage of crossover distortion.

Thank-ya'll

Wait till you hear them after 50 hours of burn in!

I have 2 weeks befor I have to send them back... if I am going to.

I am going to go up to London this weekend to demo a few others like sen600 grado RS2 beyer 880 and ety 4s etc.. I know there are tons of hi-fi shops on Tottenham Court road, however I dont know where the good places for headphones are. Could anyone recomend a good shop to go to for headphones in London please?

Rock on~

I don't know about the rest but you can get the Senn HD600 for Sterling Pounds 120 only from Ask electronics at any of the outlets in Tottenham Court Road. That's where I got mine.

I just got back from my pop up to London! I'm keeping the AKG K1000's! wub.gifparty.gif ...and I'm going to keep my speakers too, I'm just too weak in will power to say no to either the headphones or the speakers! It may hurt the bank, but what is money compared to happiness, eh? kicking.gif

Anyhoo, I demoed Senn HD600, Grado RS2 and STAX Basic System II

I don't count the Senn HD600 as a proper listen however as they only plugged up some piece of crap Sony mini system (£595 for the whole system). But despite that they were quite good. Very airy was my main impression.

Grado RS2 was a good demo, Linn CD and Project head amp (same for the Stax.) They seemed very detailed and warm, but they just weren?t transparent enough for my taste. Though the soundstage was pretty good. Considering they cost about the same as the K1000's I was not very impressed I have to say. Bass was nice.

Finally the Stax. First impression was how bad the build quality was! The clips holding the ear-speakers to the head band felt as if it was going to break under its own weight. The sound on the other hand was the best of the bunch I demoed. Very free and transparent as I expected, accurate sound stage as well. But neither aspects as good as the K1000's. The thing they did do better was they had a smoother midrange and slightly warmer bass. The build quality was what spoiled it. hammer.gif

I think I will try adding a PSX-R to my Cyrus in the hope of making it warmer in the bass and less harsh in the highs.

Oh and ASK only had the HD590 which they wanted something like £195 for! Guess their prices have gone up! Or you are one great haggler N@Z!?

You're right, Stax's build quality really sucks!

Good Engineering but Lousy Designers ... perhaps the Engineers designed them as well, hence the poor taste and quality.

I think I will try adding a PSX-R to my Cyrus in the hope of making it warmer in the bass and less harsh in the highs.

Go for the PSX-R upagrade, I've one for my CD7Q- it is simply an euphoric experience!

Oh and ASK only had the HD590 which they wanted something like £195 for! Guess their prices have gone up! Or you are one great haggler N@Z!?

I think the offer was not only for the HD600 but the HD590 as well try the other outlets in case they have stock there. Alternatively wait for the HD650 but that will cost.

Try checking out Ask Online Directory the price is still £120. Maybe the seller needed to be reminded of their online prices. It helps if you carry a Hi-Fi magazine with you so they can't cheat you on the prices. Tottenham Court Road can be a little like SLS! dry.gif