Sign in to follow this  
dreaming

HeadPhone recommendation

Hi Guys

I want a better headphone (with good bass, wide sound stage)

Currently, using a Grado SR80. like the sound / bass/ openess. But enocounter ear discomfort after putting on for some times. I hope to get a better headphone than SR80. Budget around S$500

I strongly believe that there is other brand that is worth trying like AKG,Sennheiser, Audio Technica,

Grado SR80

I listen to POP, ROCK, RAP, cantonese songs

closed back / openback? which u guys prefer.

Please recommend the model that you think is worth a try.

Thanks all

At the price, you could get a second hand K701, which does have a nice open-ness and flatness to it.

Also, what would you your source be?

At the price, you could get a second hand K701, which does have a nice open-ness and flatness to it.

Also, what would you your source be?

Thanks for the reccomendation. I suppose this is the top range of AKG. Could u explain flatness?

How much is the K701 new?

I use the headphone everywhere. TV jack / laptop jack / CDP / Amplifier / ipod.

Any other recommendation

Well, most people comment that the K701 is rather neutral. I agree, although I haven't really heard other headphones from the same level (other than the MS-pro, which is really different), and the listening session with the K701 was a short 5 min.

If I'm not wrong, they are about S$600 new.

The headphone's performance would vary quite a bit if you change sources. The laptop jack and a dedicated CDP / amplifier one would probably be really different, especially when the K701 isn't exactly the easiest headphone to drive.

About possible choice would be the MS2i (about $400+ if I am not wrong). You could try getting that used to save a bit and add in a headphone amplifier.

Edited by aaron-xp

AKG K701 is a excellent upgrade option if only you intend to also invest in a decent headphone amplifier which cost another couple of hundreds.

No head phone amp for me. Like it simple or else there will be too many wires.

I would put the money to get a better head phone. TQs

Thanks for your input and any other brand/model except Grado.

Edited by dreaming

Well, most people comment that the K701 is rather neutral. I agree, although I haven't really heard other headphones from the same level (other than the MS-pro, which is really different), and the listening session with the K701 was a short 5 min.

If I'm not wrong, they are about S$600 new.

The headphone's performance would vary quite a bit if you change sources. The laptop jack and a dedicated CDP / amplifier one would probably be really different, especially when the K701 isn't exactly the easiest headphone to drive.

About possible choice would be the MS2i (about $400+ if I am not wrong). You could try getting that used to save a bit and add in a headphone amplifier.

Grado, 32ohms / AKG K701, 63ohms : does this mean that AKG is more difficult to drive. i.e.plugging it to other source might not work?

seem like a headphone is strongly recommended..

Edited by dreaming

The K701s have a reputation of being harder to drive than the Grados.

A headphone is recommended? I don't quite get that. Oops, as for my previous recommendation of the MS2i, it'll probably not be valid as you wanted something other than Grados.

How about the Audio Technica AD900? It's an open headphone and has a rather big soundstage. It's easier to drive as well.

Edited by aaron-xp

You can try Beyerdynamics.. quite a few options for you to choose from. Most of the higher end models have impedance of either 32ohms/80ohms/250 ohms. :)

Senns would be out for you. the HD600 and HD650 are 300 ohms. even the HD595 is pretty difficult to drive at 50 ohms.

i highly recommend the MS2i, its not as warm as the RS2, but provide a much better sound stage than the SR80. Its also quite close to ur price range without going over.

eh... like aaron-xp said... the SR60 to GS1000 includes also MS-1, MS-2 and MS-PRO will no longer be valid in this case coz they are really similar to each other in terms of ergonomics... :D

Hmm...

The thread starter did mention that he found the SR80 a bit uncomfortable, and the MS2i is similar to the Grado series in terms of comfort (or the lack thereof).

Well, one thing for sure is both the Alessandro MS-2i or Grado SR325i will be heavier than the SR80 and comfort issue would still be there.

Audio Technica's (A/AD/W series) is one of the most comfortable headphones I've come across. They have both open and closed and range in price from $79 - a few thousand.