Sign in to follow this  
wind30

hissing sound

hi guys,

I just got a the new creative zen and with my UM2 I can hear a soft hissing sound when I start playing something. very obvious when I pause the playback. Is this normal for all audio players or can I find a better one with no hissing?

Edited by wind30

Don't really know the technical stuff but I find adding a higher resistance helps. Generally some players are known to have a louder floor noise than otehrs hence the hiss. And some IEMs are also known to be more sensitive hence the hiss too.

This is not normal. DAPs shouldn't hiss with IEMs, as they are designed for the same purpose - portable use. You might want to try your zen with other earphones to see if there's hiss. It might be a faulty player.

This is not normal. DAPs shouldn't hiss with IEMs, as they are designed for the same purpose - portable use. You might want to try your zen with other earphones to see if there's hiss. It might be a faulty player.

I can't hear the hiss with my grado SR80 and my B&O earphones. The thing with my IEM UM2, is that it seems to be VERY SENSITIVE. Basically I have set only half the volume or less with the UM2 compared to my other headphones.

I tested the UM2 on my N95 and the hiss on my N95 is MUCH HIGHER. The creative zen is so much better in compariso.

someone recommended me to get a level attenuator.... where to buy huh? portable or not...

Did anyone did a review on which player has the smallest hiss/noise?

Edited by wind30

iPod video and zen vision m have pretty low floor noise. Cowon d2 too. From experience, samsung k3 gets it pretty bad on the other hand, using sf5p here. Found that when using the UE attenuator, the hiss does disappear but SQ is aversely affected. Do try the Shure volume control to help bleed the hiss out.

I got the shure volume attenuator and it removed the hissing all right but on critical listening, I found that it totally changed the sound of my UM2. The highs are visibly much softer and more muffled :( And inside the package Shure says that it is only for airplane use only.

$25.... did any test this A/B with and without? or is it my psychological effect :)

IPB Image

Shure volume attenuator

Edited by wind30

Your ears are fine, the main job of this device to for more precise volume adjustment especially on the plane and secondary job can be used to reduce hiss due to high gain, and by doing so affects the sound.

If changing either the IEM or MP3 player is out of the question, perhaps adding a low gain amplifier in between would help.

it's mainly for planes because the headphone out in planes have so much noise it can be so unbearable that the sacrifice in audio quality is worth it.

I would get an amp if I were you. just make sure it's a dead quiet one and attach it to the line out of your zen, and I think you'll be happy. =)

Your ears are fine, the main job of this device to for more precise volume adjustment especially on the plane and secondary job can be used to reduce hiss due to high gain, and by doing so affects the sound.

If changing either the IEM or MP3 player is out of the question, perhaps adding a low gain amplifier in between would help.

If I am willing to change the MP3 player, which one will you suggest?

Before you decide on changing your MP3 player, it's best to know actually how much hiss you're getting.

As far as UM2 or superfi5PRO or Shure SE530, they do have a slight hiss on MP3 players, especially obvious when you pause it.

Tried on some iriver and samsung MP3 just mins ago and seems to me the samsung is quieter. ( but still the hiss is there.)

If you're looking for really silent, then a player with lineout paired with an amp might be better. Examples include, the ubiquitous iPod photo/video/classic and the nano, the zen vision m/w and the iaudio x5l (which I think is currently unavailable.). For amps, depending on your budget and taste, there's many to choose from. Although for amps, one of the more popular ones would be the RSA Tomahawk. Especially since the tomahawk was built with IEMs in mind too.

I have tested all the mp3 audio source I have with the Um2 and here are my results in the order of highest hiss.

1) nokia N95. Real loud

2) epson P3000. almost as loud as N95

3) creative zen significant softer

4) sony u8g. TOTALLY silent. wow I am really surprised by my sony.

i have um1, and also have similar problem. lots of mp3 players cant be play without hiss. i cant bear with it when using any of the mobile phone a source especially.

but the lovely part is - it gives lots of details when u plug it to a right source. for my case, a decent discman.

that's what i feel...

Moral of the story: Bring along your IEMs when buying DAPs, and vice versa. :D