davsmiths

Looking for a nice amp for my 4G iPod & UM1

Hi folks,

I'm currently using an iPod 4G (Mono) and a pair of UM1.

I'm now contemplating on getting a nice amp to enhance my audio experience.

I would want a portable amp so as to use it on the go and at home (with my Macbook + Klipsch GMX A2.1).

Any recommendations?

I have researched on the LDM+ and PA2V2 and is leaning towards the PA2V2.

Do I use the amps through the iPod earphone jack or through the bottom line-out.

I would prefer a more balanced sound signature.

Thanks peeps!

Hi, am no user of Ipods but as far as amps are concerned, you can try them out yourself. There are two places in SG where you can audition them to your heart's content before buying them. And they are Stereo Electronics in Causeway Point and Jaben in Adelphi.

I have not heard the LDM+ but I think the PA2V2 is over-rated. Besides, if you buy locally, you get warranty locally. That's a good reason to buy local.

Ok.

Thanks alot! I will take time to audition the sets but I would not know the brand and price range.

heady, what's ur set-up like?

The PA2V2 has like lifetime warranty too. Maybe someone who owns it can help me out by giving some comments.

I'm assuming yours is the normal 4G iPod and not the iMod (Google Red Wine Audio for more.) That said, you would want to amp it through a lineout dock.

Amp wise, I would think xtra x1, govibes v5 and iBasso t1 just to name a few make a better entry into the amp foray as compared to the pa2v2 and ldm+. Also, all these amps are available for auditioning without pressure to buy at Jaben and SE.

Ok.

Thanks alot! I will take time to audition the sets but I would not know the brand and price range.

heady, what's ur set-up like?

The PA2V2 has like lifetime warranty too. Maybe someone who owns it can help me out by giving some comments.

I use a Pimeta for most of my desktop listening : PC-> AlienDAC -> Pimeta -> Grado SR60, for portable I use a PINT or CMOY2 with Mylar 3. Got a CK2III and Mini3 on the way. These are all DIY amps.

It doesn't matter if you don't know what amps to get. You just have to know how much is your budget. Both Aron in Stereo and Wilson in Jaben are decent guys. Won't take you for a ride with their advice.

I see. Thanks alot!

Been readin at head-fi too and there are just too many amps out there.

My budget would be something below $100 and thinking of upgrading to a nice IC too so roughly about $150 would do the job.

Below $100, I can only find the LDM+ at $53(MO) or PA2V2 at $60-$70 (2nd hand).

I see. Thanks alot!

Been readin at head-fi too and there are just too many amps out there.

My budget would be something below $100 and thinking of upgrading to a nice IC too so roughly about $150 would do the job.

Below $100, I can only find the LDM+ at $53(MO) or PA2V2 at $60-$70 (2nd hand).

Don't forget to include a dock, does justice to the amp

Edited by sHaRkKaE

I tried the C&C Box and Minibox CL at Jaben today with my UM1, iPod LOD.

Nothing "Wow". Maybe it's my headphones... MP3 quality - LAME 3.97, VBR.

I'm undecided between the two, though prefer the C&C.

Are there anymore headphone amps that I should try out?

My budget can be stretched to $200+.

They say the Go-Vibe 7 is coming to Jaben and Jaben doesnt seem to carry the Minibox E. hmmm...

I saw the Tomahawk, so pretty but didnt dare to try it... haha!

Wouldn't hurt to wait for the v7. I've heard it and both the v5 and the v7 sound similar to the Tomahawk. Note it's similar not alike meaning the same airyness is found but the refinement isn't there and soundstage isn't too impressive either. But at less than half the price, it's a bargain.

yar ok. meanwhile, i was thinkin of getting a crossroad LOD and a volume control for my UM1.

Is it possible to do that? listening thru the lineout without an amp?

Yes it is. But the volume isn't controllable via the touch pad so it might be a tad loud or soft. Also, using a volume control would only help to lower the volume and not amplify it in anyway given that a lineout bypasses the internal amp and a volume control in no way replaces the function of an amp.

hi

may i suggest a govibe 5-7??

-used govieb5 can be had fo 35-40USD.

similar pricing to pa2v2, but much much better IMO

ldm+ has too much noise, but outstanding battery life, but doesn't really add much to the SQ...

oh and definately invest in ipod line out dock!

the sound is much better through LOD than headphone jack...

i would not buy into any specially 'treated' cables though (just adds to costs w/o benefit)...