Sign in to follow this  
ezzo

Installing 2 source input for a single input DIY amp?

Hi,

I am in the process of building a CK2III amp and like many other DIY amps, they only accept a single input. However, I have 2 sources but no switch box.

Is it advisable to install 2 sets of RCA then connect them together then to the single input on the PCB?

Will there be any degradation of SQ and any other issues that might result from it?

I will be installing a ground loop breaker between the amp and the power ground anyway.

Thanks!

Edited by ezzo

disintegration well possibly, but then again how noticeable and whether if its more convenient for you to switch sources.

Pros and cons, but i havent notice really prominant disintegration in SQ in my amps.

well install a selector switch then. about SQ, if u worry alot, then, make sure the wires are as short as possible from the inputs to the selector switch..

Well, if you can find a 4pdt with centre off switch that'll be better. Basically it has 12 pins, you wire the centre 4 pins to the amplifier R+, RG, L+, and LG. The side pins to the respective source.

The centre off means that the switching will not be direct from source A to B but there's a middle position that's actually an off position, the amplifier will not be connected to any source. This will make hot switching safer.

Thanks for the replies!

I think I will just stick to no switches since I will not be powering up two sources at the same time. Plus I have gotten the Alps 50k pot, not cheap man :)