Sign in to follow this  
iewgnail

Mini3 Pot

I think my mini3 alps pot is spoilt.

left chanel working fine but right chanel seems shorted.

when i try to shake it a bit, the sound on right chanel sometimes work and sometimes gets shorted resulting in line level to phones.

anyone has a spare alps pot?

I think my mini3 alps pot is spoilt.

left chanel working fine but right chanel seems shorted.

when i try to shake it a bit, the sound on right chanel sometimes work and sometimes gets shorted resulting in line level to phones.

anyone has a spare alps pot?

Ouch, removing it is not going to be easy. I have removed this pot from PINT boards 3-4 times and most of the time, I will strip out the copper lining the holes. Ugh. Need heat and then suck with solder sucker, then with soldering iron and a tweezer, make sure each leg is freely moving and not stuck to the sides of hole. Then when all legs are free, remove the port.

You might want to reheat the solder pads of the pot and see if its a soldering/connection problem.

Something like that happened to me when I was making my mini3 too. The right channel wasn't working but when I turn the volume knob and hold it with some force, the right channel worked! But anyway, it was just my bad soldering. I went to reheat the pads and now its working well ;)

Yes, I do agree with ezzo, pots very rarely spoil, even with lots of heat. Only over a long time because of oxidation and dirt, the pot may become noisy. So, do try reflow the joints and see if the problem is solved.

problem kinda solved. hope it doesnt come back again.

where can i get the alcohol to clean my board?

Chinese medical hall, Guardian or any pharmacies.

Chinese medical hall, Guardian or any pharmacies.

I bought a box of 100 alcohol swabs from Guardian for a few bucks. Well worth it. Great for cleaning your earpieces too. :)