Rameish

The Holy Grail (this is long)

The Holy Grail - One Man's Quest for Perfect Sound Forever

Most of us in the forums - head-fi.org, headwize.com, and here are on an ever exciting quest for just the right sound. Some do it in big steps by changing their headphone(s), amplifier(s) or source(s) as often as brushing their teeth while other do it in little steps by changing the interconnects, headphone cables and so on.

So why is this perfect sound so elusive. Why when we think that we have found it this week, poof! - it vanishes the next?

The answer to the second is simple yet the solution is complex - but not complicated.

When we finally listen to a set-up that makes us go "ah, bliss at last!" Sometime down the road we find a piece of music that this former perfect set up reproduces less than perfect. We then focus on this character flaw, playing more and more similar music that shows up this flaw or actively look for it in the course of our natural selection of music. We then begin the quest once again to "correct" this flaw and we find bliss once again - for a short time - until we find something that this new setup fails to deliver.

You see, even if we attended a live concert and later bought a CD of that particular live concert, 99.99% of the time it's going to be different from what your memory tells you it sounded like live. Many reasons for this - where you sat is one, the cables from the mics to the mixing board, the tech/engineer who did the mix, the studio engineer who did the remix etc.

The solution? To focus on the type or types of music you listen to 90% of the time and get a system that delivers perfect music 90% of the time for the type(s) of music. Ah ha, you say: "But I listen to all sorts of music from country, bluegrass, and folk to blues, jazz, chamber and classical orchestra. I also happen to enjoy opera, fusion, and acapella".

Well, in that case, get two or three systems, each geared for a specific type(s) of music. Or get two different headphones at least. I'll focus on two much talked about headphones - both loved and hated. I have seen many a person who initially liked the Senn HD-600 who then switched and bought a Grado. Or vice versa. Why oh why indeed? They then get fed-up with the whole thing and try and find a way out - sometimes they do - they quit altogether, say farewell to fellow board members, only to resurface 3 months later looking again LOL.

The ultimate system does not exist! Live with that. Okay? Everything is a compromise.

Now let's get down to business. Buying equipment should be a pleasant experience - even when you say "I'll think about it". I have always discouraged people from making snap decisions - it's frustrating and normally a money losing enterprise. I told a customer at the Singapore Head-Fi Meet in January to think about it before buying and I asked another customer in this forum to listen to it longer before buying.

Picking a piece of equipment is a daunting experience and the dealer's job is to make it enjoyable. If you ever feel pressured then tell the dealer how you feel. If he doesn't stop, walk away.

Next. Pick piece of equipment that suits you temperament - I'm not kidding here. I used to enjoy buying tubes/valves and hearing the differences. The downside is/was I sometimes had to return bad tubes or just throw them away (stay away from Sovtek 12AX7LPS please I still have some for free if you want some). But if you're the type that enjoys the journey as much as the destination then a tube amp offers instant tweakability. I been there and done that and for me the whole matching process is difficult enough without having to pick the right tube only to find out it was the right tube for a certain type of music - say vocals - but sucked big time with rock or pop or reggae - it just got too tiring after 5 years! This tube sounds good with this track but no so good with that - repeat this 999 times and you're still not there. Of course, if you don't intend to tweak or do so in moderation then that's different. Trouble is that's exactly what I said I would do. Yet I became a tube yo-yo. I still like the glow of the bottles and have on occasion guilty of lusting after an EMP. If it's going to be a tube amp then I have got to see the tubes. Eye candy you see. Enough said.

System matching is everything. That's right. The reason half of the time people disagree on how something sounds is because they used different associated equipment to evaluate the same headphone. BTW, I can match almost any good headphone to your preference if you tell me what you're looking for (it may not be the best match). That is, it may not be perfect but it would be better. So, pick a headphone or amplifier to suit your source. If you have a bright thin source - majority of dvd players for example - then get a warm sounding amp and headphones to make the sound more tolerable. Get things one at a time. So say you had a Pioneer DVD player and found that it sounded bright and thin. What to do? What to do? Well maybe get a Creek to start (that should warm things up a bit). If you still find it bright and thin (less bright and thin but still a little bright and thin) then get a rich sounding headphone like the Senn HD-600 or the Beyer DT-250. If things get too rich then take a step back and try a Beyer DT990.

If on the other hand, you relied on other peoples' opinion and bought a Grado SR-325 and a Musical Fidelity X-Cans your ears are going to bleed (the sound will be brighter than ever and thin sounding with a dvd player). OTOH if you had a warm sounding CD player like the Marantz CD-6000 OSE you might want to add a bit more bite into the sound by using an X-Cans V2 with your AKG 501 (add one component at a time please or you may go too far in the other direction). Then and only them, if you still want a richer sound, consider a switch to say a Senn HD-600 with the Marantz and X-Cans. Get the picture? Do it gradually onestep at a time.

I have deliberately left Corda amps out. Why? Well, I believe they offer enough versatility to suit most (but not all) headphones. That's one reason I became a Corda Rep. The amps offered the best of two worlds for me. Value in terms of parts - compared to any other commercial amp out there - and tweakablity in terms of the 120 ohm and 0 ohm jacks and variable crossfeed (except for the Porta Corda where the crossfeed is mid-setting only). My experience with Headroom's crossfeed and the crossfeed in Sonic Frontiers Pre Amp was good. I just didn't like the part quality in the Airhead, or Supreme. They are still good amps but the cost to performance ratio is lower. So are there headroom amps that are better? You bet. But the cost - ouch! Build quality of the Headroom amps are also above average (except for the airhead and TA). By the same token Creek OBH 11 especially the SE offers good value. The Grado RA-1 is good but many have commented on the cheap parts. Looks beautiful and IMHO one of the most under-rated amps in Head-Fi and Headwize. No crossfeed though.

Musical Fidelity X-Cans never worked well with Grados, so since I have the RS-1 and later got the HP-1 it was never in the equation. Ah! BUT, if you have a Senn HD-600 please give them an audition.

Make it a point that any future purchases you make pass these four tests.

Test No. 1: The most important (and the most obvious). Buy something that suits you sound wise. This seems very obvious but there's a growing fad to purchase only good deals regardless of system synergy. The thought process goes something like " its costs so much in Europe or USA and since it costs about the same or less in Singapore I'll buy it. Oh it cost 10% more hmm..I'll think about it (I won't even hear it). Or it costs 25% more - it's a rip off" - for once I agree!. Nothing should cost 25% more! Buy only something that matches your system and your ears. Don't be lazy. Bring CDs that you know. If need be, bring your CD player and headphone (if you'e buying an amp). If you already have an amp then bring it to compare. Yes you've done your homework by reading other people's opinion - now do the LEGWORK! Doing you homework should only provide a shortlist to audition and only that.

Test No. 2: Build quality (not part quality). Cheap parts can be put together to sound very good - but watch out for build quality. For example, I have never known of a Grado RA-1 to fail under normal usage (have you?). Some people in head-fi have commented on the cheap part quality of the RA-1, yet I have not known of one who had a unit fail in some way. If you can get something that has better than average part quality for the same money or a little more then that's plus. On the other hand, good parts in a limited design will not improve sound.

Test No. 3: Reputation of dealer, warranty etc. If a unit fails who fixes it and how it's done (i.e. friendly or otherwise) this becomes very important if a product has had some QC problems in the past.

Test No. 4: Trust your own ears in the end. The worst thing you could do to yourself is buy solely on another's opinion (mine included).

Please note that I worked in the advertising industry for more than 12 years. During which time I oversaw the Creative Department as the Creative Director. By training I'm a scriptwriter/copywriter. As the copywriter the music in radio and TV commercials and well as picking voice talents or singers was my domain. As the Creative Director I vetoed, advised, bullied other copywriters/scriptwriters on music and voice recording. I have worked with some of the best sound engineers (and some crappy ones), talented commercial composers (some not so talented) and singers (for jingles etc). I also attended live concerts and, where possible, later bought the album that was recorded at the venue at the time I was there. I also happen to love music from a very tender age. BTW I play the piano very poorly but can pick a good piano for talented pianists. I am not modest but am friendly and honest. If I do not like something I will voice my opinion - but it's still just an opinion! Nothing more.

Edited by Rameish

wow Rameish. what prompted all that ? ohmy.gif

anyway..if you could edit your post and correct all the weird characters like Ã,Ç,Ä (did you cut and paste from some Mac program you were using to write this?) I'd be happy to make it a sticky, so that it'll get more reads. the least I can do for all you typed headphone.gif

Nothing in particular just that some people keep asking me the same questions over and over again. Like "which is better? the Grado SR-225 or the Senn HD-600" or "how does the Creek compare to the Grado RA-1".

The answer is with what? And since it's not possible for me to know the sonic sig of even 10% of CDPs it's almost impossible to answer unless people do their legwork.

I see what I can do about the weird characters - Microsoft Word for Mac LOL.

we should compile all your "articles" and compile into one archived post..for everyone to read happy.gif

I wish I could just enjoy the music & not get immersed in the 'Quest'. So much simpler on my wallet & sanity!

Having said that, I really enjoyed the article. I particularly found Test 2 quite insightful. Must remember that, never gave it much thought. The RA-1 example is great, must tell my colleague who owns one. Should make his day!

Keep 'em coming Rameish!

Ablaze,

Strange - when I used IE to view you comments about the weird charactesr I couldn't see any and was wondering if you were talking about spelling. Now I'm using Netscape I can see them. Will correct them.

Wow, archived?? Hell yes.

N@Z,

I do have about 1,000 LPs and about 300 CDs (not a huge collection but not an impoverished one either).

Yes, the quest bit was for newbies more than anything else (this is a synopsis of my journey). In the end everthing is determined by budget. Also I was/am telling people to keep some of their quipment they have and make sure they don't really like them before selling. If you don't have proper amplification, how on earth are you going to enjoy 90% of the good headphones. Even you will admit the easy to drive Grados need amplification (or at least sound better with amplification).

Some other major posts are coming but it does take a long time to write - this one took 3 weeks - can't help it went thru 4 drafts.

Yikes! I've only got about 200-300 LPs & similarly CDs!

I think I'm going to start a new thread, you got my mind working on something happy.gif

hey N@Z, could you do a search for Rameish's articles, compile them into one thread and make the compiled thread a sticky in this forum. a lil moderation work for you blush.gif

I'll try but it'll take a little time as my connection is so slooooooooow lately. ISP has been doing upgrading work & it seems slower than faster.