Sign in to follow this  
ckng

Which DIY amp to build?

Hi,

Looking to build something to upgrade my old META42 and Xiang Sheng 708B. For up to say, $200 in parts, what would be a good DIY amp to build (I am fine with either tube or SS)? Parts availability is a concern as well as sound quality (of coz). Don't need it to be portable. I will be driving AKG 501 and AKG 271S.

Considering the following -

- M^3

- CK2III

- SOHA

Thanks in advance.

Regards

CK

Hi CK,

Good to see you getting your hands on the solder iron again.

I have built the standard SOHA and the sound is sickeningly similar to the PPA. I said sickening as I had a PPA at that time which cost me quite a lot to build even though the pcb was a clone. The SOHA parts are surprising cheap. I got most of the parts from Koba.

I understand the M3 is quite costly while the CK2I3 is cheaper. I heard the CK2I3 during the last meet and it is quite neutral. I have gathered all the parts for my set but have not embarked on building it yet. I haven't heard the M3 but I have heard the B22 which is supposed to be as good as it can get.

I ordered a Bijou kit from Glassjar Audio but Jeff has not started shipping yet. And that is supposed to be better than the SOHA.

Hi CK,

Good to see you getting your hands on the solder iron again.

Hand itchy, but dunno when I am going to start though. Took me months to get started and complete my AMP5 the last time. :P

I have built the standard SOHA and the sound is sickeningly similar to the PPA. I said sickening as I had a PPA at that time which cost me quite a lot to build even though the pcb was a clone. The SOHA parts are surprising cheap. I got most of the parts from Koba.

I understand the M3 is quite costly while the CK2I3 is cheaper. I heard the CK2I3 during the last meet and it is quite neutral. I have gathered all the parts for my set but have not embarked on building it yet. I haven't heard the M3 but I have heard the B22 which is supposed to be as good as it can get.

I ordered a Bijou kit from Glassjar Audio but Jeff has not started shipping yet. And that is supposed to be better than the SOHA.

Looks like you are into several projects at once eh? I have not heard the PPA or the others so I don't know how they sound like. Oh, one more criteria. If the headamp can be a pre-amp as well (like the CK2III) better still. :) I am not sure if those amps with a ground channel will function well as a pre-amp.

Have you found the transformer for your Bijou yet?

Regards

CK

Actually even the amps with active ground channel can also be used as preamp, just use the input ground as output ground for the preamp. Use the active ground only for the headphone out.

Re: the transformer, can either order the R-Core from HK or get it done locally, several places where they can take order for custom transformer in SG. Will cost abt S$80+ for the custom. I haven't decide yet as I haven't got any confirmation from Glassjar Audio yet. Haven't even ask me for money. Wait and see if he will eventually contact me.

Aiyah, my cupboard is full of uncompleted projects - I am listening to my USB-Monica3 now in a temp case. Very nice sound. Got it as assembled pcb, only need to solder the leads in and out.

why not go tube ..... 24V Aikido Tube Line Stage and Headphone Amplifier

i am using the Sony SA5000 with a full Black-Gate upgraded Denon 2880AR CDP now.

i tell you about the Denon CDP headphone section ..... i rolled about 7 pairs of different ic on it and the best ic to match my SA5000 in it are NE5532 ...... its amazing ..... not even the OPA627 can match it ... the guitar sound just so correct with Denon/Sony ... I dont feel like getting any HP amp at all ....

maybe its because the SA5000 needs a bit more power to drive ....

If only it could have more bass, then it would be perfect.

anyway, let me know lah ..... I will be ordering the 24V Aikido Tube Line Stage and Headphone Amplifier PCB next month.

Actually even the amps with active ground channel can also be used as preamp, just use the input ground as output ground for the preamp. Use the active ground only for the headphone out.

Good idea, I never thought of that :P

Aiyah, my cupboard is full of uncompleted projects - I am listening to my USB-Monica3 now in a temp case. Very nice sound. Got it as assembled pcb, only need to solder the leads in and out.

You mean there's a USB version of the Monica 3 now? How much is the assembled version?

why not go tube ..... 24V Aikido Tube Line Stage and Headphone Amplifier

i am using the Sony SA5000 with a full Black-Gate upgraded Denon 2880AR CDP now.

i tell you about the Denon CDP headphone section ..... i rolled about 7 pairs of different ic on it and the best ic to match my SA5000 in it are NE5532 ...... its amazing ..... not even the OPA627 can match it ... the guitar sound just so correct with Denon/Sony ... I dont feel like getting any HP amp at all ....

maybe its because the SA5000 needs a bit more power to drive ....

If only it could have more bass, then it would be perfect.

anyway, let me know lah ..... I will be ordering the 24V Aikido Tube Line Stage and Headphone Amplifier PCB next month.

How is the Aikido compared to the other tube designs like the Bijou, Millet Max, Morgan-Jones, SOHA, etc? Are the tubes required difficult to find?

Regards

CK

You mean there's a USB version of the Monica 3 now? How much is the assembled version?

Yup. Only Yeo doesn't call it Monica3 since it doesn't have the same digital section. I think it is enhanced USB Monica. I bought it through a friend in JB since delivery within Malaysia is free and paying in RM is also cheaper (hey, I am member of Team Low Budget, ok?). I bought both Monica3 and enhanced USB Monica pcb for about S$500. He sells pcb only to those who bought earlier Monicas.

I was interested in the Akido too but thought I try the Bijou first. Better to get the full kit if you are interested. Some parts may be hard to find.

i have never heard 24V Aikido before ....

anyway, i am more comfortable with tubes because they are extremely durable and reliable.

the beauty of a tube design is that the part count is low.

the PCB promotes the use of 3 kind of tubes ....

you are talking about NOS tubes, yes, difficult to find and expensive, else they are plentiful.