IPB Image

IPB Image

DAC+RA1:

IPB Image

Front:

IPB Image

Rear:

IPB Image

Running in now. i would say 999% better than built in sound card!! lol now i really enjoy music XD

Edited by alvin1118

Sweet. Very nicely done. Well done.

What power supply pcb did you use?

Edited by heady

haha thanks XD

power supply is full bridge rectifier + LM317337. PCB get from a taiwan friend. cheap and good for all application manz. but if you want to invest on power supply, there are other higher end type. $$$$ ><

that is a DIY USB DAC +amp!!?!

holy mother.

yeah, USB DAC + RA1 GRADO CLONE AMP

running in. didnt switch off for 72hours already XD

nice case work!!

thanks bro :beer:

bring back to poly & drill holes. lol

How did you do the square hole for the USB connector? TIA.

How did you do the square hole for the USB connector? TIA.

eh? i drill a hole then use file slowly make it square :grin: the power inlet also :lol:

the casing is thin, can easily file it :)

the transformer actually gives me a lot of troubles. HISSING SOUND!!!! the magnetic interference is terrible. very loud hissing noise when plug in high sensitivity headphone ><

moral of the story: dont save cost on important part. i should have bought one "good transformer" instead of using an old VCD Player one. :( sad :lookdown:

no choice now, i uses anti static aluminum foil to wrap around the transformer, and ground the chassis and usb connector to somehow reduces hissing noise. it does help a lot XD

IPB Image

hissing noise is very low now but still audible when not playing music. maybe when free then change the transformer see how :lol:

I understand that to shield electromagnetic effect of transformer, the shielding material need to be mild steel or something which a magnet can stick to. From your pics, I think one piece of mild steel between the power supply / transformer and the DAC board may be enough. Getting that piece of mild steel will be difficult, though.

Using a SMSP and a small capacitor filter may be a better way to go, for a DAC. That is how I power my Monica3 DAC.

yah,now trying to look for mild steel. or rather just live with the low hissing noise. lol

Good SMPS & cap filter would be a good solution for DAC as the power source is separated from the chassis. no more worry on electromagnetic interference.haha..

btw,DAC really sound a lot better. almost run-ed in. quite nice :rclxms:

soft iron to block out magnetic stuff :)

think i should isolate the problem step by step. 1st move away transformer, see is there any noise.

2nd, check on grounding loop. i suspect the noise actually comes from grounding loop issue :blush:

just bought a cheap and good sennheiser HD201. plug in and listen using my USB DAC, surprisingly, no hissing noise at all! wondering is it my DAC only suitable for this kind of headphone. lol

Hmm, it probably means the headphones which had hissing is too sensitive. You will need to reduce the gain if you prefer that headphone.