Sign in to follow this  
blackmouth0

zzzz sound...

hi guys, it's me again, recently, my friend passed me his ath-em7...he complain to me the following...

1) he will hear a "shhh-ing" sound...(like you put your finger in the 3.5 mm jack of your speaker instead of connecting it to your source (mp3 player) ) that kind of sound...

I tried and find out nth wrong with it...and i tried with my ipod, and laptop, totally nth wrong with it, and someone share with me wht's wrong?

and is there a diy solution to it...

some background information, he listened to some classical pieces and on at a full blast...

Any help will be welcome =)

i'm guessing the zzzz sound is somekind of hiss or interference. 2 possibilities

1) it could be his classical tracks are old tracks, whch tend to have some background hiss. But not sure if that's the zzz sound

2) more likely, there is something wrong with either his amp or his source, or if it's a portable player, there's something wrong it the player.

If you've tested it with your own player and there's nothing wrong, that means there's nothing wrong with the headphone. Unless maybe he has hypersensitive ears or something...

yah, i tested it with my sources and confirm that there is nth wrong with it..

he told me that he on his song till very loud, and i tried it, with playing my music at full blast,then i can start to hear the sound, which i tell him is very normal, am i right this way?

i think so...why don't you guys meet up and compare sources. see if it's just him being sensitive or whether his source is poor.

another thing you can try is not to play any music (pause it) and to put the volume to the max. If you hear the zzz sound it just means the source is not very good. If you don't hear it then it's coming from the track. Both are normal.

OT a little:

I've spent almost most of my headfi journey trying to get rid of these irritating zzz sounds. Recently I bought a swanky radio and listen to my ipod through it sometimes. Can't hear any hissing at all even with the worst tracks cos it's so far away! headphones are so high maintainence...

http://www.vitaaudio.com/products/vitaaudio-r2.html - highly recommend it if you are living in a small room and want a good radio which you can connect your ipod to

he told me that he on his song till very loud, and i tried it, with playing my music at full blast,then i can start to hear the sound, which i tell him is very normal, am i right this way?

Wow full blast. Man, that's bad, it's recipe for hearing loss. It comes without the person knowing and by the time the hearing loss is noticed, it is usually too late. Better tell your friend to be careful.

In this case, the sound could be the diaphragms hitting the maximum limit of excursion?

Wow full blast. Man, that's bad, it's recipe for hearing loss. It comes without the person knowing and by the time the hearing loss is noticed, it is usually too late. Better tell your friend to be careful.

In this case, the sound could be the diaphragms hitting the maximum limit of excursion?

hi dude, thanks for replying..i did told him to softer the volume, but he told me...i like the feeling!!! -.-"

will a heaphone amp do the trick? as in i recommend him an amp?

and also, can you simply your last sentence? you have to know la, i am a noob here...haha...

Sorry. It means the part which produce the sound, the diaphragm, moves when it produces the sound. The louder the sound is, it will move more. Most diaphragms has stops to prevent damage from moving too much.

So I am thinking, if the zzz sound only appears with very loud music, maybe the moving diaphragm is hitting against the stops when he hears the sound. This is only my reasoning but I don't know enough to be sure.

An amp may make him happier to listen at softer volumes but on the other hand, he may use it to listen even louder...

Sorry. It means the part which produce the sound, the diaphragm, moves when it produces the sound. The louder the sound is, it will move more. Most diaphragms has stops to prevent damage from moving too much.

So I am thinking, if the zzz sound only appears with very loud music, maybe the moving diaphragm is hitting against the stops when he hears the sound. This is only my reasoning but I don't know enough to be sure.

An amp may make him happier to listen at softer volumes but on the other hand, he may use it to listen even louder...

I ytd did tried, and i heard the same buzzing sound, which i though is some worker cutting the grass. To my surprise, there is no one around me. And i realise is from the earphone itself!

Hmmm, well, at that time, I did on my music very loud. :))