Sign in to follow this  
leo

creek obh-21 SE or Grado RA-1 ?

Hello everyone.

I have a pair of Grado headphone and I´m looking for a headphone but I ask me what´s the best option.

Are someone heard both to compare?

Regards.

Guest dragonboy

Never had a chance to try the Creek. But the Grado headamp is a fantastic match with their own headphones provided you like the grado sound characteristic.

I know about diy ra-1 clone, but I think there is not exactly the same sound. A very little lost of quality sound is important for me. I prefer spend my money, but I prefer so much spend in the right amp for my Grados. I´ve read creek has offers better sound with Grado´s headphone but I don´t know if it´s true, so this is my doubt.

Regards.

Edited by leo

Guest dragonboy

Why not try it? Cloning can be close but never the same. RA-1 is available at Music by Design and stereo@causeway point. Better call to check stock first before going down.

cloning can be even better. for the same price, swap cheapie caps for high-end bi-polar Blackgate electrolytics, Solen Teflons and Kiwame or Riken resistors. u can even change wiring to higher purity copper/silver or even change circuit boards to include pure copper/silver paths. and best of all, customize the sound to your liking. and improve on the wood chassis by changing it to an all-copper clad insides for extreme shielding. possibilities are endless.

boutique parts that Grado can never include at the present selling price.

I have never read anyone has a clone sounding better the original. I really prefer to buy the best one, but this is an off-topic.

I´m interesting to know about creek with grado´s. is really it better than Ra-1?

I have never read anyone has a clone sounding better the original. I really prefer to buy the best one, but this is an off-topic.

I´m interesting to know about creek with grado´s. is really it better than Ra-1?

Can I suggest you have not read enough about the RA1? From the design, it is nothing more than a variant of a CMOY. You have a huge choice of amps better than the CMOY. You owe it to yourself to go to a place like Jaben or Stereo Electronics and listen for yourself.

Can I suggest you have not read enough about the RA1? From the design, it is nothing more than a variant of a CMOY. You have a huge choice of amps better than the CMOY. You owe it to yourself to go to a place like Jaben or Stereo Electronics and listen for yourself.

Perhaps it´s true. It´s for this I´m asking about it. In this page, ( Grado´s page!!!! :shocking::shocking: ): http://www.gradolabs.com/reviews/rs2_1.htm you can see: "The Creek OBH-11 headphone amp is something else-especially with the OBH-2 power supply upgrade. With this combo, the Grado RS1s not only sing -- they fly. There's no sluggishness. Bass is tight, taut, yet lusciously full - this fullness and richness of bass is something you don't quite get with the Sennheiser HD 600s. The treble is sweet and extended, yet not over the top."

I asked at Goodcans.com by mail and they answered this: "While I'm a Grado fan when it comes to headphones, I would tend to think the Creek is the better amp." I live in Spain, and here there are not many more options for this prices to choose: musical fidelity, projet box, creek and ra-1: http://www.supersonido.es/productos/produc...SubCategoria=17

My great surprise is to see there´s nobody has compared two amp so easily to get.

Regards

pd. sorry for my english.

Hi Leo,

Sorry to hear that these two amps are what is easily available for you in Spain. I didn't know you are writing from Spain.

I have not heard both together, my memories of the Creek is quite vague so I am no good to give you advice on your choice, except that the RA1 is very over-rated.

Regards.

Guest dragonboy

Perhaps it´s true. It´s for this I´m asking about it. In this page, ( Grado´s page!!!! :shocking::shocking: ): http://www.gradolabs.com/reviews/rs2_1.htm you can see: "The Creek OBH-11 headphone amp is something else-especially with the OBH-2 power supply upgrade. With this combo, the Grado RS1s not only sing -- they fly. There's no sluggishness. Bass is tight, taut, yet lusciously full - this fullness and richness of bass is something you don't quite get with the Sennheiser HD 600s. The treble is sweet and extended, yet not over the top."

I asked at Goodcans.com by mail and they answered this: "While I'm a Grado fan when it comes to headphones, I would tend to think the Creek is the better amp." I live in Spain, and here there are not many more options for this prices to choose: musical fidelity, projet box, creek and ra-1: http://www.supersonido.es/productos/produc...SubCategoria=17

My great surprise is to see there´s nobody has compared two amp so easily to get.

Regards

pd. sorry for my english.

So good to be in s'pore, when one end to the other is less than 1 hour. And we've got a good variety of head amplifiers to audition. Try Stereo and Jaben. Very wide range of products with impressive good service.

Many moons ago I had the OBH-11SE (the upgraded power supply came standard for the SE version). This was after reading Sam Tellig's review (if memory serves me right the whole review also mentions the Senn HD-600 pairing with a Musical Fidelity X-Cans. Both combos were recommended.

Unfortunately I didn't like the Creek OBH-11SE (same with the regular Creek OBH-11).

It sounded veiled and compressed esp when compared with the Grado RA-1. I do like the little battery powered RA-1. As for clone vs stock I think we will not be able to settle the issue because there's no way of knowing how the clone was made.

Many moons ago I had the OBH-11SE (the upgraded power supply came standard for the SE version). This was after reading Sam Tellig's review (if memory serves me right the whole review also mentions the Senn HD-600 pairing with a Musical Fidelity X-Cans. Both combos were recommended.

Unfortunately I didn't like the Creek OBH-11SE (same with the regular Creek OBH-11).

It sounded veiled and compressed esp when compared with the Grado RA-1. I do like the little battery powered RA-1. As for clone vs stock I think we will not be able to settle the issue because there's no way of knowing how the clone was made.

Thank you for your experience. I like classical and jazz overall so I suppose it´s the reason I´m demanding on quality sound. Anyone has the real pieces list of a RA-1?

Since you live in Spain, I won't be able to help you. Perhaps email Grado top find out who the distributor is the way to go. You'll be able to audition before you buy which is important for me YMMV.

In Europe the Earmax Pro should be available. Get the pro version not the standard version - it does a better job.

If buying off the internet then try headroom or Corda. Both manufacturers offer crossfeed which is useful. BTW which Grado Headphone do you have? I ask because the recommendations for amps can get expensive and if you have an SR-60 or SR-80 a portable amp maybe all you need.