Sign in to follow this  
heady

Enhanced USB Monica

Here's pics of my Enhanced USB Monica. That's its official name, quite a mouthful.

How's the sound? Very very good. I particularly enjoy it with my Pimeta and DT150 although the headphones has a faulty left driver which on some tracks drive me crazy. Now to deal with the DT150's problem, bought it second hand without testing. :no: Had no pads so couldn't test until I got pads which was weeks later. Such foolishness, I amaze myself sometimes. :doh:

Enhanced_USB_Monica___front___small.jpg

Enhanced_USB_Monica___back___small.jpg

Enhanced_USB_Monica___setup___small.jpg

Enhanced_USB_Monica___inside___small.jpg

Edited by heady

SLT sunlight(3rd floor) has the casing :)

Yes. $5.90. Manufacturer is "Future Box", model is "FB No. 16".

Thanks Guys! Gives me an alternative to buying hammond casings :)

BTW, is that interconnect made from cat5 network cable?

Edited by mouz

The interconnect is a Canare L-2B2AT cable with Neutrik 3.5mm stereo plug. DIY from parts from LHS.

Looks like a pretty good cable with foil shield to stop EMI, RFI. That's going on my list of DIY materials, thanks for sharing this :)

Say, do you think lining aluminium foil (those found at the supermarket) inside the case will help shield out EMI RFI?

Looks like a pretty good cable with foil shield to stop EMI, RFI. That's going on my list of DIY materials, thanks for sharing this :)

Say, do you think lining aluminium foil (those found at the supermarket) inside the case will help shield out EMI RFI?

Mouz,

This is what I understand from reading. First the aluminium must be grounded (earth in mains?) Second, aluminium is only good for RFI. For EMI, the shield must be mu-metal, which means metal which are capable of being magnetised or attracted to magnets.

HTH

heady

So in the Canare cable I suppose it uses the foil for RFI. Wonder what it uses for EMI shielding, grounding the drain wire to signal ground?

So in the Canare cable I suppose it uses the foil for RFI. Wonder what it uses for EMI shielding, grounding the drain wire to signal ground?

The foil is wrapped and contacting the signal ground, so it is connected to the signal ground. I believe the foil will minimise RFI but I don't think it is very effective for EMI. For EMI, it is more effective to place the source of the EMI (usually transformer and AC) as far away as possible from signal cables or inside a Faraday cage.

Thanks for the tips heady, think this will come in pretty handy on builds that uses transformers in the future. :)