Sign in to follow this  
ckng

Where to get "Audio Grade" electronic components?

Hi,

Which shop sells the audio grade components for building stuff like amps, etc? The generic ones are easy enough. Or do everyone order online from the likes of RS Components (Singapore), Farnell, etc ?

Thanks in advance.

Regards

CK

I have an Australian version of RS's and Farnell's catalog. There are no "audio-grade" resistors or capacitors in there. no Cardas female RCA as well or any other so-called audio-grade components. But the parts are decent but not what you would call "audio-grade".

If you want audiograde, try partsconnexion.com (Canada), percyaudio.com (USA) and hndme.com (USA). There are other places but those are the ones I have dealt with. Someone mentioned that there's a local Singapore shop that sells Riken (audio-grade) resistors. They might have other things like capacitors and etc.

In Singapore you can try the following places,

Well Audio - Burlington Sq,

Martin Electronic - Same place as above

Larry - Basement of Peoples's Park Centre

Koba - 3rd storey of PEoples Park. You gotta to know what you're looking for before hunting there.

AHF Artaudio - http://www.ahfartaudio.com/

Zenn Audio - http://www.zenn.com.sg/ for DACT Attenuator.

Shops in SLT, if you know what you're looking for.

Thanks jtfoo, I'll check them out.

I have been out of DIY electronics for years since I left poly. The last I bought stuff from SLT, they are pretty generic.

Regards

CK

Hi,

Are Elna Starget caps considered "Audio Grade"? They are listed as so in the RS catalog....

Regards

CK

Hi,

Are Elna Starget caps considered "Audio Grade"? They are listed as so in the RS catalog....

Regards

CK

Yes, they are. But they are not as popular as their brethren, like Cerafine and Silmic.

Hi,

Regards

CK

Yes, they are. But they are not as popular as their brethren, like Cerafine and Silmic.

I see. Thanks. Just got them from RS components. Will be using them for power supply of a META42, should be more than enough. smile.gif

By the way, any idea if there's a big difference between those audio-grade resistors like the Vishays vs "normal" 1% tolerance resistors? Is this difference audible?

Regards

CK

Guest Ruach

CKNG,

What values of Starget caps did you purchase? Stargets are normal audio grade caps. You should have tried Koba where you may find better grade caps at lower prices.

I can recommend you some. Just tell me the values.

Yes, there is some difference in the sound performance, the magnitude depending on whether you are using them in the signal path.

Thanks Rauch, the Stargets I got are 470uF 35V electrolytics. In the schematic, they are simply used as reservoirs and not in the signal path, shouldn't have a very large impact on sound right?

The others I am looking for :

0.22uF 50V polypropylene x 2

6.8uF 50V WIMA MKS2 (or equivalent) x 2

Resistors if you can help me as well smile.gif

1Kohm x 2

500Kohm x 2

470ohm x 2

4.7Kohm x 2

2.2Kohm x 2

220Kohm x 2

100ohm x 4

47ohm x 2

These appear in the signal path and feedback path. Wonder how much do I lose if I use regular 1% resistors. heh.

Thanks again!

Regards

CK

Guest Ruach

Nichicon KG Gold Tune (for larger values i.e. 10,000uF and above)

Nichicon MUSE

Elna Silmics

Sanyo Oscons

Panasonic FC

BHC

and many more. one need to know the good stuff when shopping at Koba mellow.gif

Guest Ruach

For the 470uF 35V, try Elna Tonerex 2200uF 42V ($2.50) (these are great audiophile-quality caps for reserviors), the higher capacitance should not have any impact on the circuitry stability.

As for the film caps, you should be able to source for them at Koba.

As for the resistors, if you are not too fuzzy over the sound, they sound almost alike. My preference is for Riken resistors.

For the 470uF 35V, try Elna Tonerex 2200uF 42V ($2.50) (these are great audiophile-quality caps for reserviors), the higher capacitance should not have any impact on the circuitry stability.

As for the film caps, you should be able to source for them at Koba.

As for the resistors, if you are not too fuzzy over the sound, they sound almost alike. My preference is for Riken resistors.

Thanks Rauch, I'll check them out.

Regards

CK

The others I am looking for :

0.22uF 50V polypropylene x 2

6.8uF 50V WIMA MKS2 (or equivalent) x 2

The 6.8uF is kinda difficult to find in Singapore, esp if you want the WIMA MKS2 which has a small footprint. I suggest you get it from Tangent, whose prices are reasonable.