Sign in to follow this  
heady

Clean power tweak

nice find, just curious, is there any real difference in using a off the shelf power adaptor and a cleaned up power source like the one above?

That is the finding of the writer, Yeo, that this tweak is better than all the regulators he has tried so far. Off the shelf adaptors is either linear regulated or Switched Mode Power Supply. Yeo used to support SMPS until this tweak.

When I have time, I will be going to SLT to look for the transformers to do this tweak. Aiyah, just after I bought two Sony SMPS for the Monicas I have.....

Edited by heady

haha! see u're itching again. btw, ur sony output is it 24VAC, 1A? U can let go one to me if it is, cos I'm looking for one for my next project.

Mouz, the Sony SMPS is 18V for notebook computers. I found them quite good. Abt I think $30+ from Kaichin. They are all DC though.

hmm really interesting. Let us know how it sounds heady. Maybe can use it for SOHA too :DD

That's a good idea. But need to find out how much current is going through the SOHA.

That's a good idea. But need to find out how much current is going through the SOHA.

I think as SOHA uses AC power, wont it sufficient to just use a transformer to act as filter before the SOHA transformer? i.e to use a 240Pri to 120-0-120 sec transformer

Cloud,

Yah, use AC but transformer also got power rating. If consumption higher than transformer rating, then bad things can happen. The transformer rating is in VA, which is Volt-Ampere, ie volt x amperes.

Cloud,

Yah, use AC but transformer also got power rating. If consumption higher than transformer rating, then bad things can happen. The transformer rating is in VA, which is Volt-Ampere, ie volt x amperes.

ic. thanks for pointing it out heady. On my SOHA transformer its rated 15VA. so long the filter transformer is able to output 15VA we are safe right?

Yes. Right on. If you find a source of 240V to 120-0-120V, do post where and cost here. Thanks.

Edited by heady

Yes. Right on. If you find a source of 240V to 120-0-120V, do post where and cost here. Thanks.

Sure thing! its all about sharing here.

Talking about trans, yeo did mention at the lower part of article that if we cannot get hold of the double bobblin 120-0-120 transformer, we could use 2 transformer instead. In fact, he did mention it might be better. So the problem with SOHA transformer is kind of solved right? We just get 2 more transformer exactly the same as the one we used for SOHA and wire them.

eg:

240V(AC)->Trans(1)---Output 15VA--->Trans(2)----Output 240V(AC)---->SOHA trans---->SOHA

sound feasible?

Edited by Cloud

Sure thing! its all about sharing here.

Talking about trans, yeo did mention at the lower part of article that if we cannot get hold of the double bobblin 120-0-120 transformer, we could use 2 transformer instead. In fact, he did mention it might be better. So the problem with SOHA transformer is kind of solved right? We just get 2 more transformer exactly the same as the one we used for SOHA and wire them.

eg:

240V(AC)->Trans(1)---Output 15VA--->Trans(2)----Output 240V(AC)---->SOHA trans---->SOHA

sound feasible?

Yes, this is what Yeo said can be done. Just make sure the trans(1) has centre tap.

Yes, this is what Yeo said can be done. Just make sure the trans(1) has centre tap.

i suppose the centre tap is for grounding?