iguoh

I have been bitten by the bug!

Personally IPod really isnt that bad. Its really the combination of headphone to it that makes it sound good or bad. If you ask me, with a grado attached to the IPod, I will say its pretty decent but if say you try using a K701 on it, its pretty bad. I gave up portable amps along time ago, nearly a year. Its bulky and even though theres sound improvement through amps, unless you intend to bring headphones like HD600/650 or K701, using a amp wont make magic out of say a IPod. More then often IEMS dont really benefit much from amps. Unless your source can line out, a portable amp/dac is pretty decent as the improvement can be easily heard even with IEM.

That said, audio bug is bad. For my case, I am not really upgrading but more like moving sideways lol. Getting a few headphones to test out the different sound in them. Currently I use my RS-1 and K701 pretty often and leaving my HD600 and DT880 alone.

For me the upgrade patch is more like this:

Headphones

Amplification

Source

Cables

Source I feel is lower them amp and headphones is cause on general if you get a decent sounding source, without good headphones and amps, you wont fully utilize it. Then again its me and probably many will be differ lol. As the price range goes higher, the difference between good and better is very little. More then often is perception and preference.

That said, dont get any item you never test before. Reading comments is one thing but experiencing it yourself is what truly counts. Audio is a pretty expensive hobby and buying the wrong item only to resell will make you lose quite some money.

Currently I use my RS-1 and K701 pretty often and leaving my HD600 and DT880 alone.

Headphones

Amplification

Source

Cables

almost the same here, currently i use my D2000 & K701 pretty often, and sold the HD600/650 & DT880.

source

amp

cans

snakes

Edited by sghound

DT880 sounds weird when compared to RS-1 or K701. HD600 to me is only good for a certain genra. I felt that K701 and RS-1 on general provide a more enjoyable listening experience across most of my songs. Their vocals strength is probably what attracts me.