Sign in to follow this  
Klo

Head/Earphone Recommendation?

Hey guys, I am currently using a Koss KSC75. I would like to buy another set of Head or Earphones because when I use the KSC outside ( like in the bus), I am unable to hear much of the bass,if any. I know that the bass of the Koss is already weak in quiet places, so what would you guys recommend? Would a bass-heavy open earbuds or headphone like the iGrado work to get the bass on in public areas? Or do you guys think a closed-back pair of headphones will work?

I do not mind hearing the ambient noise around and I hope to avoid IEMs. My budget is less than $100 hopefully around $80.

While I'm not a bass person and can't really recommend anything there,

I'll repeat the normal advice so you won't lose your hearing.

Stay away from open cans for outdoor use, especially on public transport.

Go with IEMs or closed-back ear/headphones.

Guest dragonboy

the Koss Protapro is an open-cans but they do pretty good on the bass.

Wah K414 alot of bass man, but yea the isolation is good. I'm using K412P and it has decent bass and good sound. The downside is the isolation, u do hear the MRT sounds etc, but with just enough sound, the problem is minimised unless ofc u're damn near the public speaker thingy then yea u will hear the announcments :P

Hm... Actually I am not really much of a bass head. I mentioned stronger bass because it is mostly the bass that gets covered by surrounding sound. So let's say I choose to get a closed-cans, which ones do you guys have in mind? I would mostly need a strong bass and mids, while keeping treble neat. Hopefully not too bulky. Budget stays around $80.

Here are some models I have in mind. Can you guys tell me the estimated prices of these models too?

- Senn PX200

- ATH ES3 or 5

- AKG 414

- AKG K181DJ/K81DJ

- ATH FC5/7

Guest dragonboy

if you're not a basshead, then AKG 81 & 414 is out. FC5 is below $50. Sennheiser abt $90. I'll recommend you to try the ATH-SQ5 at abt $100. They're available for u to try out at stereo causeway point.

Koss Portapro's are suprising value for money. After a good burn in they have tight bass, good mids and clear highs as well as details. I use them with my laptop.

Could anyone give some review on the FC5/7 and the ES3/5? whether they are value for money and the SQ?

Guest dragonboy

Koss Portapro's are suprising value for money. After a good burn in they have tight bass, good mids and clear highs as well as details. I use them with my laptop.

Second that.

IMO, good isolation is critical for portable listening. Without which the best headphone would sound crappy in a bus, not to mention it's bad for hearing and disturbs people around you (I know, lots of vermin out there doesn't mind that).