chaotarroo

Headphones reccomendation ...

I currently have $400 budget on hand to get headphones and I am thinking of the following canns.

Beyer Dt770 pro

Beyer Dt880

Sennheiser 555

Sennheiser 595

ATH-A900

ATH-A700

I listen to indie and jrock mainly ... deep and strong bass would be good.

I am using c&c box as my AMP currently.

dt880 is much better than hd595, IF your amp can drive them decently.

I find dt880's midrange to be abit too recessed for my taste tho.

if not, hd595 is probably your best bet (get them used if you can, i think their retail price is abit too high to justify their price)

Personally I would pick hd600 over all the above. (can be bought for 450). I listen to alot of jrock too.

Since your amp is portable, just take it down to stereo or jaben to try out the headphones above (and more) to see which ones you like better. Its best to trust your own ears.

Edited by windrider

in addition to the HD600, i'd also suggest the Denon D2000. better bass details without the Senn veil and much easier to amp. great for j-rock!

the HD600 paired with Ray Samuels amps are much desired though it might blow your budget.

Give the Senn HD25-1 II a try. I just got mine last week, and I personally feel that I have found the perfect headphone for rock! It will be about $400+. This is probably the best closed back headphone that I have auditioned. Very well defined bass, and great highs.

Edited by naglfar

Among the stated choices DT880 is probably the best, and you probably know where to get them already which comes with an amp with your budget. :D But that is, if you like the sound of it. I personally can't stand the treble. :D

But for portable an open phone is not a good idea.

For me I think the DT880 is probably the best choice from the list. Else likw what most recommanded, a HD600 isnt too bad. Actually Grados have decent bass too. Not the deep strong type but you may appreciate it. Best is you can go down to a shop to actually test out.

Among the stated choices DT880 is probably the best, and you probably know where to get them already which comes with an amp with your budget. :D But that is, if you like the sound of it. I personally can't stand the treble. :D

But for portable an open phone is not a good idea.

I agree that the dt880 +amp package $399 is one of the best value at the moment, and in fact it was so enticing that i bought it. I did like it alot over the hd595, especially when comparing their very close retail prices, the gap in sound quality between them was very noticeable to me, dt880 was crystal clear, hd595s sounded very muddy and grainy in comparison. Although i liked the hd600s more, it costs $450 on its own without an amp and it seemed to be much less worth it compared to the $399 package.

However I sold the dt880s after a month as the treble was abit too much for me. I thought i could get used to it because it was only slightly too trebly, but in the end i couldnt. A problem which i did not experience with the hd600s, but i went with the dt880s because of the better deal. This turned out to cost me more in the end as i sold the dt880s for a slight loss, and bought a new pair of hd600s in the end since i couldnt find a pair of 2nd hand hd600s (i think they are super rare. you see hd650s for sale all the time but hd600, not even one in the past few months).

Thus in the end its all about listening for yourself as much as possible, which thankfully is not that difficult here with great shops like stereo and jaben among others. And making sure as much as possible that you can live with your decision. That will save you more money in the long run.

Edited by windrider