Sign in to follow this  
Andy

Another "Headphones Recommendation" Thread (Wishes inside)

I think if you are staying in Singapore, then you must go to either or both Stereo Electronics and Jaben to find out the prices. I have no idea about the prices as I bought my DT880 a while ago.

I see. If only I were still staying in Singapore, but like I said, I've been in Australia for a number of months now, slogging away in a vet clinic. With regards to photography this place is like a desert, nowhere near as easy to buy and sell like in Singapore. And for audio gear, I really don't know where is the best place to look. Overall though, I've found electronics to be markedly more expensive here than in SG. Any of the phones I want to buy may be ridiculously expensive here, which is why I want to get them off Ebay.

Anyway, I was about to put down AU$500+ on a very nice Denon mini-compo system I heard at a shop when buying a Tivoli model for my Mum. The sound was so lush and the soundstaging was plain awesome...almost as if the sound fills the space between the two speakers and extends beyond. It was on 20% discount as well. Very tempting, but it was the floor demonstrator model with a few scratches on the CD player unit itself.

Then I thought carefully about it: AU$500 will get me an extremely nice pair of headphones that I can take everywhere with me, and if comfortable enough, be used at home also. AU$500 is approx. S$650. But as you can see, I am hoping not to go overboard by spending so much, which is why I'm looking for some of the best value options within that price range.

Edited by Andy

Been doing some research for closed headphones and actually come across something that meets almost all your requirement.

Ultrasone HFI-780.

I checked around the net, its no more then 350 SGD.Closed design and foldable for keeping. Reviews on it are pretty positive and the design of the headphone allows it to run of portable devices. Maybe you should check them out on ebay since you are not in SG.

Been doing some research for closed headphones and actually come across something that meets almost all your requirement.

Ultrasone HFI-780.

I checked around the net, its no more then 350 SGD.Closed design and foldable for keeping. Reviews on it are pretty positive and the design of the headphone allows it to run of portable devices. Maybe you should check them out on ebay since you are not in SG.

Thanks for the suggestion. The 'surround sound' looks promising although one or two reviews have said otherwise. It looks like it would have been a good option for me but unfortunately I ordered a Beyerdynamic DT860 (2007 edition) from a US store about 2 days ago. The price seemed alright though and including shipping it'd cost me little over S$350. It has a foldable design as well but unlike the Ultrasone that you mentioned it is open-backed.

I hope this means 'bigger soundstage' because that's exactly what I want, but the drawback of course is the poorer isolation when being used outdoors. It didn't take me long to realize that my 'requirements' were almost impossible to fulfill, and I simply needed to find the best balance I could get.