Sign in to follow this  
Andy

Another "Headphones Recommendation" Thread (Wishes inside)

Hello fellow forum members!

Finally decided to post a thread, and what better way to start than with a question? I'm not an audiophile but do appreciate good sound. I'm looking for the best value headphones at the S$400 price level or less. I can exceed the budget slightly however if there's something really good on the market.

Currently I'm using a Audio Technica CK-7 on a iRiver H320. I bought the headphones perhaps close to two years ago and while it still works fine, I'm entertaining the possibility of buying a pair of over-the-head headphones. Back then I bought the CK-7 over another few pairs of headphones I tested at Jaben based on its clarity.

Eventually the sheer clarity of the highs got to me. I later bought an Xtra X-1 amp and the combination was fantastic. It put right away many of the 'complaints' I had about the CK-7 by giving fuller sound, better bass, and it seemed to dull the highs sufficiently to make for comfortable listening.

Other issues I had were to do with the IEMs in general:

- reasonably good isolation that cut out the sound around me when commuting, but it was a double-edged sword. It meant that nobody could speak to me unless I took the phones out.

- just by being in my ear for an extended time, the phones caused listening fatigue and discomfort. My ear canals either start feeling too warm or get itchy, so I can't listen to the phones for hours at a time. I also read that bacteria multiply rapidly in an enclosed ear, which is not a good thing.

- I use these phones both when commuting, walking around and also at rest at home. When walking around the rubbing of the cables creates vibrations that are clearly audible and not desireable to me. Then when I'm at rest I can even hear my own heartbeat.

So now I'm looking for an over-the-head headphones with the following characteristics:

- the music I listen to is primarily jazz, bossa nova and instrumental. Clarity of the highs is desired but it should have sufficient body and bass. Jazz in particular seems to rely on bass for the groove and piano for the mood, so while it's impossible to get good results in both highs, mids and lows in the same headphone, a happy medium would be most appreciated.

- the headphones should not be unduly large or bulky. I will be walking around with these and do not want to attract attention, or to have difficulty keeping it. The structure should be such that I can comfortably sit back on a seat on an airplane (or my bed) and go to sleep.

- preferably, the headphones should form a cup around my ears instead of the pads that sit directly on the ears because this also creates a certain degree of discomfort and fatigue.

- it should be reasonably durable or easy to find parts for, because I'll be using it both outdoors and indoors (with due care of course).

- it should be capable of cutting out most of the undesired extraneous sound in the environment while being airy for the ears.

- it should sound good even unamped (hooked straight to an iRiver H320). I used to have a working Xtra X-1 amp but the battery recently swelled into a pillow and couldn't charge, so now I am amp-less.

Now the main trouble I have is that I am overseas so I have no access to places like Jaben to audition headphones, so I'm primarily buying off online sites 'sight unseen', or 'unheard' as it were.

I did think about buying a mini hi fi for my home listening needs (and upgrade from the very old Sony hi fi that I currently use), and use the CK7 for outdoor needs. However I decided to think the other way, and get a great pair of headphones that will do for both outdoor and indoor stuff. That way, I can still appreciate it when moving from place to place.

Any suggestions and help would be most appreciated. I understand that everybody's listening needs vary tremendously, however if I can get some suggestions from the experienced folk here, I am then willing to do additional research and go from there.

Edited by Andy

look no more. the perfect solution for your needs, the Audio-Technica ATH-ANC7 http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-A...s/dp/B000OMKR8E

Wow, that was a very quick reply! Thanks for the suggestion. I am looking into this now. One more thing that I just added to the original post is the fact that my Xtra X-1 amp has broken down. The battery will no longer hold charge. I have not been successful in finding a replacement for it.

Therefore, it would also be best if this new pair of headphones sounds good unamped.

Hmm actually quite hard to find something that fits totally to your requirement. You prefer something that cups your ears, not too big, cuts noise (Close headphones), runs easily off a portable source and sound good yet dont cost more then 400.

For this kind of preference other then being big, audio technica ATH-A series pretty much fit in. Its comfortable, can be runned of non amplified source, produce pretty good sound . Only thing is that its pretty big. A900 probably fits your budget with money spare to buy a small portable amp. The other brands of headphones all require some sort of amp as their impedance are kinda high or are better off running pass a amp.

A900 are pretty durable (aluminum) and audio technica isnt very hard to get replacements.

Hmm actually quite hard to find something that fits totally to your requirement. You prefer something that cups your ears, not too big, cuts noise (Close headphones), runs easily off a portable source and sound good yet dont cost more then 400.

For this kind of preference other then being big, audio technica ATH-A series pretty much fit in. Its comfortable, can be runned of non amplified source, produce pretty good sound . Only thing is that its pretty big. A900 probably fits your budget with money spare to buy a small portable amp. The other brands of headphones all require some sort of amp as their impedance are kinda high or are better off running pass a amp.

A900 are pretty durable (aluminum) and audio technica isnt very hard to get replacements.

Thanks for the advice. Yes, I understand that the list I gave may be impossible for anything to fit in, however it's just a relatively exhaustive list I wrote out, based on the use of mostly earbuds in the past. Back then I loved how compact they were but I realize that if I want something that doesn't plug straight into the ear (and make it itchy), then I have to jump to the over-the-head varieties.

The X-1 was great to have, but after flushing over $100 down the drain when the battery konked, it made me rethink if I should actually buy one every again. Loved the way it sounded, but hated the way it just died on me with no warning, and with little use.

I'll look into the A900. Basically, my choices will be somewhat limited to what I could get off Ebay. I don't even dare to step into the shops here in Melbourne because I might be ripped right off on price.

Wow, that was a very quick reply! Thanks for the suggestion. I am looking into this now. One more thing that I just added to the original post is the fact that my Xtra X-1 amp has broken down. The battery will no longer hold charge. I have not been successful in finding a replacement for it.

Therefore, it would also be best if this new pair of headphones sounds good unamped.

yes it'll sound great unamped. it's even good straight off the airline seat's headout.

yes it'll sound great unamped. it's even good straight off the airline seat's headout.

That's perfect. In some of the reviews it says that when there is no battery in the unit (and active noise cancelling is thus off), the sound becomes flat, muddy or 'distant'. Is this true? There has also been some mention that in some bass-heavy music, the sound can become distorted. Have you experienced this? As I mentioned before, a bass is desireable but I'm not bass head. Still, distortion as a result of heavy bass is a concern.

That's perfect. In some of the reviews it says that when there is no battery in the unit (and active noise cancelling is thus off), the sound becomes flat, muddy or 'distant'. Is this true? There has also been some mention that in some bass-heavy music, the sound can become distorted. Have you experienced this? As I mentioned before, a bass is desireable but I'm not bass head. Still, distortion as a result of heavy bass is a concern.

not the best bass in the world but no concerns whatsoever. if u're already used to the AT presentation, it's a no-brainer.

Edited by sghound

not the best bass in the world but no concerns whatsoever. if u're already used to the AT presentation, it's a no-brainer.

Yes, I liked the way the CK-7 rendered sound, to a certain extent, but it's not the whole story. When I first heard it at Jaben I almost couldn't tolerate how uncomfortably clear it sounded. Still, I learned to like it there. It was hard to decide between the phones at that time after trying 5 or 6 of them over a few hours...they were all good in their own game. Ultimately the CK-7 also turned out to be cheaper than the others, so it was very attractive.

Then the X-1 amp came along to change the sound a little...add a little bass and body, and tone down the highs somewhat. It was great, at least till the amp died prematurely. :D

Oh well...still waiting on more responses before I start considering my options. It seems quite silly to have splurged on a CK-7 only to spend more again after only a short period of time. But that's the way of audio systems and the amateur photography I'm involved with. Both are incredible money wasters, even though they do bring a lot of pleasure.

Ok. So far there's been two votes. One for the Audio Technica ANC7 and one for Audio Technica A900. Any more suggestions?

What about the lesser A700? Or what about the Beyer DT770 or DT880?

On this forum, I've seen it being mentioned that some people do not like the type of sound produced by noise-canceling headphones and in another case someone even went so far as to say that IEMs are for audiophiles and NC headphones are for travelers who are not into critical listening. Is there something more about NC headphones that I should know about?

I have no intention of getting another IEM however, because the CK-7 has already fulfilled that desire. Also, I may actually enjoy phones with a different sound signature...something that sounds warm and lush could be a nice switch. I found the CK-7 very analytical and with the bass appearing a little recessed. But I don't consider this a flaw, knowing that the great clarity is a real plus.

Hope to hear any more suggestions from the good folk here as I'm looking to buy soon.

Edited by Andy

Hmmm.. since you've been down to Jaben's before why don't you head down there again to try out the Beyers or perhaps even the HD595? both are reasonably 'lush' sounding :)

Hmmm.. since you've been down to Jaben's before why don't you head down there again to try out the Beyers or perhaps even the HD595? both are reasonably 'lush' sounding :)

That's what I should probably do...to audition a pair of phones before buying it. However I am working overseas, have been here for the last 6 months and will be for the next 9 months. If I were patient enough I could probably wait. Hence I plan to buy off Ebay instead. Unfortunately I do not know how Ebay prices compare to Jaben. Looking at the CK7 price for example (based on what I paid there before), they are about on par.

I've read a few threads about the DT770 where some users used it for gaming and movies and loved it, but as a guess, phones for enjoyment of music are going to differ from those used for gaming. On Amazon they mention the DT770 (250ohm) whereas on Ebay I've found those rated at 80ohm. Is there any difference in the sound quality? I intend to run the phones straight off an MP3 player without an amp, so I'll need to choose the corrrect one.

If you are not using an amp, then the 80ohm version is better.

If you are not using an amp, then the 80ohm version is better.

Thanks for the confirmation. Was just reading up about headphone basics to refresh myself on a few things that I read many months ago. As you can see, I don't know much about audio equipment at all...just looking for something that I can really enjoy.

The DT880 (250ohm) is a heck of a lot more expensive than the 80ohm version. Would you happen to know how much the 80 ohm costs in Singapore?

Thanks for the confirmation. Was just reading up about headphone basics to refresh myself on a few things that I read many months ago. As you can see, I don't know much about audio equipment at all...just looking for something that I can really enjoy.

The DT880 (250ohm) is a heck of a lot more expensive than the 80ohm version. Would you happen to know how much the 80 ohm costs in Singapore?

I think if you are staying in Singapore, then you must go to either or both Stereo Electronics and Jaben to find out the prices. I have no idea about the prices as I bought my DT880 a while ago.