Sign in to follow this  
comacer

Marantz CD5001, OPPO DV-980H or Denon DCD 835

Hi Guys,

I received a set of really old bookshelf speakers (made in the 1980s) and am looking for an entry level CD player to pair with them.

I currently have my iMod + Portable vCap combo feeding into a LUXMAN L-3 amplifier through the RCA jacks which is driving a pair of Teledyne Acoustic Research AR18Js.

I am also driving my Alessandro MS-1s with the headphone output of the LUXMAN, it sounds pretty good :)

I've searched around, done my homework and finally settled on these 3 models, Marantz CD5001, OPPO DV-980H or Denon DCD 835.

I understand that the Marantz CD5001 is the entry CDP of choice for many. However, I need a very good analog output as my old amplifier will only take RCA input.

Is this the right one for me? Can any kind soul PM me the cheapest price they have found for the 5001? And also, is it worth the money to go a step up and purchase a 6002 instead?

The OPPO DV-980H is a DVD player that upscales into 1080p and sports a good analog output as reported by various reviews. Can it beat the 5001? I have a 24" Full HD LCD monitor connected to my computer, so having the DVD upscaling function would be nice, but will the video circuitry add noise to the audio output? I have found the lowest price to be around 3 and a 1/2 hundred dollars.

I managed to find a Denon DCD 835 selling on the echoloft second hand trade forums for less than two hundred. Is this any good?

I am out of the house 15hours a day, so the home rig mainly serves to provide relaxing music during the evenings, there isn't really a need for a fancy CDP.

My bookshelf speakers are also very warm, their strong suit are vocals, so you might want to take that into consideration.

Is my iMod + Portable vCap combo sufficient? I've seen a couple of comments stating that this combo bests thousand-dollarish CDPs.

All helpful comments are welcome! Thanks!

I would opt for the Oppo if I were you. It's always bonus to have a good upscaling DVD player at home, and the SQ of the Oppo has garnered many good reviews.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f7/oppo-970-...-cd5001-291593/

Actually, I am thinking of getting a CD player for a second set-up. Did a little research and the Marantz's supposed to be one of the best CD player ever (for the price)!

The CD6002's supposed to be quite a player as well... hwever it's not available in the US but reviews of the set's been very positive.

Also, I doubt the effect of the upscaling on your TV will have any marked difference. Supposed to work better with HUGE TVs

Edited by warsurferX

Quite a lot of choices for entry level CDPs. I ended up using Marantz CD7300 (superceded already). But at the time, I also considered Cambridge Audio, NAD, Rotel.

Hi Guys,

I received a set of really old bookshelf speakers (made in the 1980s) and am looking for an entry level CD player to pair with them.

I currently have my iMod + Portable vCap combo feeding into a LUXMAN L-3 amplifier through the RCA jacks which is driving a pair of Teledyne Acoustic Research AR18Js.

AR18 used to be a really popular hifi speaker, likely the best seller during it's time. It was my 1st speaker. I was using Thoren TD160 which was still a current model then.