Sign in to follow this  
epiphone

Extension cord for earphone

Just purchased a set of Sony EX51 (the low-end brother of the EX70/71). Pretty much went for the looks (even though the EX71 was well within budget as well), since the red EX51 looked really nice to me.

Now I would seriously like the EX51's cord to be longer, just like to know:-

1) Are there stereo extension cords available for sale, and where is a good place to get them (male/female ends, with the male being a straight one since my SlimX prefer it to be so)

2) Lengths available

3) Will quality be compromised in any way with the extension cable? Are there better ones than others?

Maybe I really should have went for the EX71; wonder what motivated them to make the EX51 cord this short. Any audiophile expert would kindly take some time to advise a newbie, appreciate it thanks.

there is a nice sony one which is even covered in cloth.

it's about 30cm IIRC. you can contact sony singapore, they're very helpful and can usually find what you want from a product description.

quality will definitely take a small hit whenever you add extension cords to the equation.

HOWEVER, on a portable setup (i'm assuming you'll need this for a portable setup after your mention of the slimx) the difference is negligible.

SP are for in top coat pocket personals. That's why it's soo short. Just get the cheapest sony extension as DIY extension cords tend to be too thick for portable use. You could do it with hook up wire and heat shrnk the whole thing. But it'll cost more.

Gentlemen, thanks for the heads up. I'll get back on the cord again, update you guys.

Another question. Specs wise, any major difference between the EX51 vs. the EX70/71? I noticed that my EX51 doesn't really noise-cancel totally.

Its not noise cancel. Its sound isolation

Noise cancel is done delibretely by a mic which pics up ambient noise and send a equal but opposite sound to the earphone. Sound isolation is blocking out noise.

The sound isolation is similar except 70/71 sound better.

SP are for in top coat pocket personals. That's why it's soo short. Just get the cheapest sony extension as DIY extension cords tend to be too thick for portable use. You could do it with hook up wire and heat shrnk the whole thing. But it'll cost more.

Its also for remote control Discmans

I can't seem to find suitable extension cords with lengths of ~50cm-1m. The minimum I found is one at ~1.8m, and it is thick and bulky, pretty unfit for a portable. Anyone can point me to a specific place to get these extension cords?

I have checked the SLS V8 and other shops again, to no avail. Adhoc, the 30cm one that you mentioned, they have to be ordered through phone from Sony?

Best if I can get a longer version of the little cordy that came with my SlimX IMP-550, those who have this Iriver would know what I mean.

IIRC I saw one at Best denki Bishan Junction 8. At the place when all the earphones are placed. Or ask the guy.

Go and try to find. No harm right. cannot guarantee have.

Edited by lekguan

epiphone, yes they do. even a verbal description of the item will do.

it's about 30cm, has male and female 3.5mm jacks on each end and is covered with a black-dark-red-dark-green nylon braid.