Sign in to follow this  
adn6244

New Project or Enjoy or Stock up .....

Just want to find out from you guys... :doh:

what did you all do with the finished DIY project...ie you all built so many amps, dac...but you only have a pair of ears and so little time to :cans: but soldering need practice :innocent:

I built the jaben cmoy, Neomini RA1 & minidac, amb Mini3 but most of the time I am using Mini3 only :wub:

I still have a few unfinish projects with me and this makes me think whether I should order more and stock up first..ha ha ha ha ...

For me the joy is in the building, so I just itch to buy. After buy then get remorse for wasting money.

So far has been able to sell unwanted items but at loss lah. No profit. So you have to decide for yourself. Sorry, I cop-out. :))

Like the boss said the enjoyment is from building the stuffs.

I have a draw full of programmers and other tat that i have built for what ever reason.

Still fancy building one of the Mini M3's...

I know I enjoy the process although sometimes it's really painful to gather info, read up, gather parts, read up, sort out parts, change parts, solder, desolder.....done....and ...

throw in the drawer ....cause ... 2 ears, one amp one dac max at a time...and time is limited . .. . .. . :party:

Then build again, start again....did I learn anything ... plenty...but did I learn to stop...never :rclxub::smoke::D

I just burnt a big hole in my pocket ....I ordered the Minimax enclosure...going to get the board soon :cry:

Wow adn6244. You must do a build log. Looking forward to it.

I am running in my SOHA with JISBO buffers now. (Am listening to a Gilbert and Sullivan operetta recorded in 1958. Never realised how fantastic the early recording is, very dynamic and clean.) Have to case this amp before moving on to the next one.

Heady, just curious, what are you using for Q5 n Q6 for your JISBO? I'm building a SOHA too and probably a standalone JISBO for connecting with other amps.

adn6244, minimax pcb out already? Tot I saw on head-fi that it'll be available at glassjar after the cases are done. Weird way of doing things though, tot it's always PCB first than cases... Too bad I already got the normal max board. Otherwise, i'd have waited for this.

Heady, just curious, what are you using for Q5 n Q6 for your JISBO? I'm building a SOHA too and probably a standalone JISBO for connecting with other amps.

Using the BD137/BD138. Order from RS Components, free shipping in SG. Having trouble with my protection pcb e12 from Amb. During testing got a very soft pfft! And it's dead. No time to troubleshoot yet. Just have to remember to unplug headphones before switch off, and plug in only after switch on.

BTW - which tube you are using for the SOHA? I started with a EH but now running in a JJ. I prefer the JJ, I feel it is more neutral. But difficult to AB because after switching tubes must adjust the 40V trimpot again.

Edited by heady

So how does the combo sound? Is it like what they said at the site?

neutral to warm sound, strong bass, yet detailed. cheap and easy to source (at least in Europe).

For the tubes, tot of GE 5963 or 6680, read somewhere that it does everything good, from the lows to the highs and esp soundstage. I like the expansive feeling of space in my music :) But bad thing is that it's such a b*tch to find in SG, so I'm kinda stuck now...

adn6244, minimax pcb out already? Tot I saw on head-fi that it'll be available at glassjar after the cases are done. Weird way of doing things though, tot it's always PCB first than cases... Too bad I already got the normal max board. Otherwise, i'd have waited for this.

mouz,

Email from Beezar :

2. The MiniMAX PCB's will be available at Beezar sometime this week. So, you can order this week and build the MiniMAX completely except for the case. The case will not be ordered until invoices and payments are processed. I am setting a deadline of 10/25/2008 for that, with the cases being ordered at Lansing the immediate Monday after that, 10/27/2008. There is still a 28-working day timeline for manufacturing the cases. So, the earliest I will be able to ship the cases will be Wednesday, December 10, 2008.

So we will have to buy the board/kit and start working on it and by the time I finish, I should have received the enclosure :rclxms: and If everything goes right...I will have a nice Xmas gift :thumbup::wub:

Edited by adn6244

So how does the combo sound? Is it like what they said at the site?

neutral to warm sound, strong bass, yet detailed. cheap and easy to source (at least in Europe).

I can't compare to the other ICs since I have heard only these I built with the BD137/BD138. I can say compared to the opamp I used (OPA2134), it's like a different amp altogether.

Very clear and yet not shrill. So must be neutral lah. In fact with some recordings I crave for a little more treble but I know that's due to the recording and not the amp. The bass is scary. It's not the huge quantity of bass that scares me, it's the extension. Can almost feel rather than hear it. Which I thought not possible with headphones.

For the tubes, tot of GE 5963 or 6680, read somewhere that it does everything good, from the lows to the highs and esp soundstage. I like the expansive feeling of space in my music :) But bad thing is that it's such a b*tch to find in SG, so I'm kinda stuck now...

I read that the best tube for the SOHA is the RCA "clear top" but that is NOS tubes, a bit too ex for me. We can compare tubes when your SOHA's built. :))

Haha ok, maybe can bring for during the next meet or something.

Managed to get my hands on some 2SC 2344/2SA 1011. Prob gonna use them for my JISBO n MH max builds in the future. Will be interesting to find out how different the two will sound.