Sign in to follow this  
ablaze

the importance of volume matching during A/Bing

How do you all get by this? Often times, when A/Bing equipment, the equipment that "sounds" better is often the one that is simpler louder, even by 1dB. subjectively, they may sound like they're the same volume, but if you've got some objective testing equipment, eg. an SPL meter, you'll find that the two pieces of equipment you're comparing are simply NOT volume matched!

Whats a good way to do this? I've tried measuring the output AC from the headphone output, in an attempt to match levels, but that doesn't seem to work ie. one still sounds louder than the other, even if they're both outputting 0.13V for eg. (whats the reason for this? different output impedances?)

How do you all get by this? Don't you all wonder each time, say when you get a new amp, and it sounds so much better, if the "improvements" are simply cos you're not used to the volume control on the new amp/source/etc, hence you've just turned it up just a TAD louder than you're used to listening to, and hence..the usual "more details", "more air", "more slam", "more weight" impressions strike you? mellow.gif

Most of the time, I merely use my ears and gauge the loudness of a passage with outburst (easier to discern IMO). For crucial testing of cans/amps, place the mic of spl meter in between the can's cups and playback a 1KHz tone for volume adjustment and mark the levels.

Edited by Mackie

i just try to adjust to the same volume when i tried different amps or headphones...this is what i learnt from Mackie biggrin.gifwink.gif

sometimes it's abit hard... esp for cans like 880 and cd3k

cd3k needs like 7 o clock while beyer 9.. and sometimes even more.

if you do it wrongly, will taint your impression

you guys seem to be missing the point. my question was not whether of not to MATCH the volumes (of course must match the volumes!) but HOW to do it most accurately dry.gif

with your ears? call yourself an audiophile do ya? ppth.gif

no. I don't want subjective loudness-matching. I want OBJECTIVE.

and I don't call myself an "audiophile" sleep.gif

Then whats the point of your tests then ablaze? Maybe you need equipment more like headroom. haha.gif I looked down their site, wow was I impressed ohmy.gif

what if one source has an abnormally high/low production of sound in the 1khz range  wacko.gif

U gotta have a cd containing a track with stable test tone of 1KHz (eg). I'm not sure if it's available commercially but certainly prevalent on the production lines. Otherwise, U can also download test tones from the internet and burn them onto CDR.

With such tracks, a more accurate assessment of the volume output thru the amp and cans can be achieved.

OT: It's a breeze to attain these tracks but the touchie is getting hold of a spl meter. Those sold in SLT are ultra expensive. I got mine from Perth for S$50 (thru a one-off deal and contact). U can also buy Radioshack SPL meter direct from US but it will cost U S$100.

Edited by Mackie

I don't get it. I tried with a 1khz test tone. matched both AC voltages identically. checked and double-checked.

and yet, when I listen, I can tell one is still louder than the other. this is using the same headphones, and both unamped. urgh. wacko.gif