Sign in to follow this  
nofing

AT W5000 brief impressions

At the IT fair today, while browsing the Audio Technica booth, I saw the w1000 but couldn't find it's bigger brother, the w5000. Being the "kaypoh" (Hokkien for busy-body) I had to ask the sales promoter whether the w5000 was included in the fair. The promoter then explained to me that the w5000 was indeed at the fair but from past experience AT had decided not to showcase it nor make it available for audition because the previous time they did so, the w5000 ended up scratched and dinged.

Hence, those who've been to AT's booth at this year's IT fair would have noticed that most of the full sized cans have a circular clear tape on both ear cups. For the closed cans, it did help to protect the cups especially for the w1000 and also the a1000x. However, with the open cans, I guess the tape might have affected the sound quality somewhat.

Back to the w5000 now. Having had no prior experience with the w5000 and knowing beforehand the price range of it, I wasn't exactly prepared to get it. But something in my head just told me to go for it so after some negotiation, I walked away as the first buyer of the w5000 from this years IT fair. Yes, I know it's a little early for me to even post any impressions on the w5000 but initial impressions are good. They've only had barely a few hours on it but I know I'm liking what I'm hearing.

Compared to the w1000, on the same setup (TS Lim modded CD63, Diva headamp with Diva IC and PCs) the w5000 had a more spacious soundstage, a deeper and tighter bass, a more authoritative character and most importantly that transparent sound. It's as if the w1000 were a tinted glass, and the w5000 being a well made pair of prescription lenses. No, the w5000 isn't a microscope. It doesn't overly exaggerate the details. Everything is there for you to hear and like a well made pair of glasses, you see as per what you would normally see. Likewise, the music and details are naturally flowing.

Now, I'm not saying the w1000 is bad. No, on the contrary, having both on hand now helps me better appreciate the w1000's strengths too. The w5000 is like a stallion while the w1000 is a gentle pony. For one, the w1000 has a warmer and gentler sound. Detail retrieval is good too but unlike the w5000, the details are subtle as in I hear them all the same but if I don't look out for it, it's just part of the music. The soundstage is cosier too and unlike the w5000, the w1000 can bring about the emotional nuances of the singer in a more personal manner.

That would be all for now. But what I can say is, the w5000 is very likeable and most probably a keeper for me. For those who are sitting on the fence between the w1000 and w5000, I wouldn't say go for the w5000 outright. Rather, it would boil down to personal preference although right now I'm leaning with the w5000 perhaps because it's the new toy syndrome or perhaps because it's just that good. That said, I would probably come up with a full review of the w5000 in the coming weeks and also a shootout between the w1000 and w5000 too.

Pictures. Pardon my poor camera and photo taking skills though.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Edited by nofing

congrats on your new toy :thumbup:

Mr Yamamoto will like to meet AT W5000 on the meet :grin:

can you arrange that?

Guest dragonboy

Wait till you audition aron's new mod. :lust: Hope he brings it to the meet. :drool:

Edited by dragonboy

@kidult: Yep, I'm sure w5000 would love to meet mr yammy too. If w1000 is still around, I'll see if I can bring it along too.

@stephen chung: Apparently, someone asked about the w5000 on the first day, even had the staff open it up so the fellow could take a look but didn't buy in the end.

@dragonboy: Aron modded the w5000?

Also, anyone here has the import HA5000? AT Singapore is working to re-engineer it to our local voltage as the Japan HQ doesn't want us to use a step up transformer for the 110V HA5000. But the ETA is June this year or later.

i am not sure about the sound since i wasn't able to try it but i believe you may be right that the bass will be reduced. hopefully it will be a tradeoff to a wider soundstage

Hmm. The w1k stock with the Yamamoto is magical. W1k's soundstage's strength lies not in being wide or deep or overly large but rather with being precise and also very intimate.

I will not change anything on the W1000 for a while. :cans:

Thanks nofing for this baby. :DD

My modded W1000 is almost ready, all thanks to kidult and eric, I made a discovery which was crucial for the completion. Just need to monitor it for another couple of days to make sure everything sounds right.

Aron drilled big holes into the wooden cups :grin:

My updated model has a smaller hole.

@jojo_b2: Enjoy the w1000 and yamamoto combination man. It really, really is wonderful. But w5000 isn't too bad either I guess.

@SE: Will the modded w1000 be at the meet next week? It sounds really intriguing with the drilled holes.

@jojo_b2: Enjoy the w1000 and yamamoto combination man. It really, really is wonderful. But w5000 isn't too bad either I guess.

@SE: Will the modded w1000 be at the meet next week? It sounds really intriguing with the drilled holes.

If my W1000 doesn't go temperamental at the last minute, I'll try to bring it along.

Nofing: So you bringing the W5000 to the meet?