Sign in to follow this  
ito

shunt and series switches in amp

Shunt means it lets the current flow through another path instead of series.

The good part for shunt is that the signal won't directly pass through the potentiometer, which is known to spoil the sound and making people buy expensive ALPs pot.

My guess is he saw this on teh FireStone Little Country 3. =)

yes,LC3,does this cause different in sound?if for example i am not happy with the LC3 sounding,but i switch to shunt,will the sound be change?becos if it does.i will like to try the shunt series...the normal LC3 i tried only.

Hi Ito,

This one a simplified answer. If you use the LC3 this way.

SOURCE >>> Little Country 3 (as the main amp) >>> HEADPHONE.

Even changing the switch to series or shunt WILL NOT change the sound.

But if you use it as a Preamp:

SOURCE >>> Little COuntry 3 (preamp) >>> Another Amplifier (usually solid stae like Novo) >>> headphone

Using the Series switch the volume knob on the LC3 will control the volume also on the Headphone. If SHUNT the volume control will not affect the sound on the HeadPhone

thanks,i also learn something totally new....another thing is,they told me the shunt mode,the sound is loud and when u increase the vol knob,it crank all the way up further...buy understand that the vol knob is bypass or something,why in that mode,still the vol will increase further even the amp is super loud i suppose?

thanks,i also learn something totally new....another thing is,they told me the shunt mode,the sound is loud and when u increase the vol knob,it crank all the way up further...buy understand that the vol knob is bypass or something,why in that mode,still the vol will increase further even the amp is super loud i suppose?

I'm too lazy to draw or find the schematics, but I believe LC3 should have one.

In series mode, when the potentiometer (volume knob) is set to low, volume is high.

Im shunt mode, when the potentiometer is set to low, volume is low.

I dunno how this works on the LC3 though, seeing as how people say that in shunt mode the volume control doesn't affect. Maybe the idea of shunting is not with the potentiometer, but with another resistor thus bypassing the volume knob entirely.

Actually even if change also dun change much lar...

Edited by wwenze

Hi,

Shunt mode:

IPB Image

Notice that the signal only need to pass through R-Series and not R-pot. The pot shunts 'unwanted' signal away, thus the name.

In the more traditional mode,

IPB Image

The pot acts as a voltage divider. The signal passes through part of the pot before reaching the next stage (e.g. preamp).

There's been some controversy as to which is better, but as they say, ymmv. Try both and see which you prefer. Do note that in the shunt mode, the input impedance varies according to the pot's position (i.e. how loud it is) whereas in the other mode, the input impedance is constant.

This page explains the connection.

http://wduk.worldomain.net/forum/showthread.php?t=198

Regards

CK

IPB Image

audio-gd uses the shunt for the compass.

from the website:

Compass volume control known as “ parallel connection volume control”.In this case, the signal direct feed to the amp does not pass through the potentiometer, as a result the sound is far better, than the general kind of volume control.

Actually on my exoperience w/ the little country there was no change at all with either settings to be heard from the headphone out. This maybe due to the fact there was no load or connection to the Preamp RCA outputs either.

The biggest change I got from the LC3 was Tube rolling and the opamp for the preamp is on a Dip Socket providing roll options for preamp. =)