Sign in to follow this  
Guest jacj6049

preamp?

Guest jacj6049

hi all,i got 2 portable amp,mini^3 and ra1 clone,which 1 is suitable to use for preamp?how to connect them?

hi jack,

I haven't really seen a usable portable Preamp setup. But my guess is use the most neutral and has the widest dynamic range as the preamp. As always if the sound is already cut off from the 1st amp then the second amp would even sound worse or will not be able to reproduce the whole range as you cannot return anything that has been cut off already. To note, this is just my idea and is not backed by actual facts. :sweat:

Btw, why use a portable preamp? :think:

Guest jacj6049

ha!!!hi bro!!how r ya?cos i only got portable amp mah!!haha....ored got my m50 mod,so when can i audition ya rig?hahaha....test my m50 also.....can?

Hi

To use your mini3 as preamp, connect source to mini3, then from output of mini3 to power amp. Same for the RA1.

So if your source uses RCA then you need two RCA to mini-phono jack cables.

Hope this is good advice. If not, then others will surely jump in and correct me.

ha!!thanks chief!!got it!!

[attachmentid=4126]hi heady,is this pimeta 2?

Ya, it is. Wait for board to go on sale. Better than doing it p2p.

Regards

A headphone amp is a preamp, or vice-versa.

Sound-wise, comparing the cheapest versions of RA1 and mini3 I know of, the mini3 undoubtly wins.

But if choosing between the two for home use, I'd take whichever draws more power, is comfortable with a voltage higher than 9V, and bigger and more moddable. That would usually mean RA1. ^^

then all parts can get in sg rite?

I have not checked but I think so since the designer(s) chose commonly available parts. My Pimeta had commonly available parts, except the BUF chip which is now almost impossible to find.

Regards

Guest jacj6049

hi chief!!then i think must but diy kit,since no other option for the buf chip......