Sign in to follow this  
N@Z

McCormack Digital Drive SST-1

Anyone has any experience with this CD transport?

mccor.jpg

Haven't been able to find much online (reviews) to describe it. I'd love to audition it this weekend hopefully the owner of the shop will be there so I can try it out with my MG Head & HD600.

I'll see if I can arrange the owner to be there as well. Wanna join? Bring your Meridian as the reference for comparison.

This is the only link which I found which has something about it: http://cindy321.tempdomainname.com/volume_..._2_4/v2n4i.html

Taken off the link:

The SST-1 transport uses a top loading approach. A cover slides open (manually) to reveal the transport mechanism (Philips CDM-12) which is suspended from the side.

Yes it is very solid in true American high end stylee, although I remember Krells being even more solidly built than the McCormacks!

Alrighty........quality stuff! Btw, if U're really serious in exploring the transport-dac route, spare a thought for a DIP or de-jitter such as Monarchy. It makes a big difference in sound with it in the loop.

I'm already using an outboard DAC for my Marantz. In the shop where I'm going to see this transport they are using the Sonic Frontier 'Jitter box'.

I think we cross posted in the Lounge too about this.

Mat, if you are free you can join Hj Rahman & me as I confirmed the audition at 2pm tomorrow at Au-Visual Haven (Kiulap).

My take on the CD-Transport!

Can hold good PRAT, very sure presentation. Analytical too! without sacrificing musicality.

It's fast but easily tamed by the MG Head+HD600. I don't really know how the Cobalt DAC fit in this equation but to me it sounds very favourable indeed. You kind of expect this from a top notch CD transport, and for the price excellent VFM. yes.gif

Little write up concerning the impressions from earlier this afternoon. I brought along my MG Head OTL amp, Theta Cobalt DAC, Van Den Hul MkIII I/Cs & HD600/RS-1. Unfortunately I didn't bring my Marantz CD-80 (too heavy!) & no photos.

The McCormack indeed sounds very good. The overall sound had alot of weight & detail. It has very good control over bass considering that I used the OTL socket most of the time. The highs goes very high without sibilance & without any hint of brightness (even when swapped to the Trans socket). Acoustic instrument seperation nuances, transients, timbre, decay sound crystal clear. I can only imagine how it would sound like with better cables & equipment in the chain. The only thing I was a little preturbed with was that this combination had slightly less midrange warmth especially vocals. I'm assuming that tonally it is not as coloured as my Marantz.

This transport according to the marketing blurb doesn't necessarily require additional jitter reduction due to the magnetic clamp which physically clamps over the whole CD, which is a bit of a novelty putting it on & taking it off. It is very secure once on. At a very attractive price (ex demo +4 years old, new $3K) I think it is a good buy for a very solidly built & great sounding CD Transport. I think I will be getting it.

While there we also got a taste of some vinyl magic there too c/o Sota TT (with vacuum pump!) with SME arm & Clearaudio cart. It was running through a tube preamp (I forgot to look at what it was - all I remember mentioned was there were Telefunken tubes inside it) & 2x McCormack DNA mono blocks running a pair of tall (Brunei made, US designed) electrostatic/Dynamic hybrid Speakers. It sounded awesome! Soundstage had astounding 3D depth. Muddy Waters & Howlin' Wolf sounded like they were playing infront of us! I'm definitely getting my LP12 serviced by this shop!